Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: She sounds sweet !

Cool. Follow the instructions on their site and you’ll be fine. Then impress your friends with you new skill(Z)!

Haha

Yeah, lol, I'll be a tech savvy guy, my friends will be will be telling their friends, don't worry, I know a guy !

O.k., Buelltooth and Android device have been paired, the ECM ID submitted along with a request for the Buell race kit, which I assume is a tune as it was listed with the other tunes.

My bike had no faults.

Well I finally took the plunge, I was instructed to run the 07 SS open loop with the special ops muffler and K&N air filter and reset the parameters to do that. I set the AFV to 100 high and low, took the o2 off line, burned it and had no problem.. Surprisingly it still pops quite a bit. As soon as I started it, I could smell a rich mixture but took it out anyway for a test ride. Over all I would have to say it runs better especially off the line and low throttle cruising. I readjusted the AFV to 98 on the low and 102 on the high. This is where it got interesting because when I went to burn the settings I got a message in black that said broken pipe ? I don't have any broken pipes and there are no codes ?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well I finally took the plunge, I was instructed to run the 07 SS open loop with the special ops muffler and K&N air filter and reset the parameters to do that. I set the AFV to 100 high and low, took the o2 off line, burned it and had no problem.. Surprisingly it still pops quite a bit. As soon as I started it, I could smell a rich mixture but took it out anyway for a test ride. Over all I would have to say it runs better especially off the line and low throttle cruising. I readjusted the AFV to 98 on the low and 102 on the high. This is where it got interesting because when I went to burn the settings I got a message in black that said broken pipe ? I don't have any broken pipes and there are no codes ?

read here: https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ues-)&p=585646

O.k., thanks bud, according to the info obtained from that link, it's nothing to worry about.

Run a lower octane Fuel will help with the backfiring issue, A lot of guys will run high octane think it will make the bike run better or more power. I was one of them. i changed to 91 unleaded and it changed it dramatically

Plus 91 octane is what I run. I adjusted the AFV to 100 on the min. & max, that actually made it worse, I then lowered the min AFV to 98 .6. and that made it better. So I am presently experimenting, after each adjustment, I take the bike for a ride and see how she does. Once I get it close, which should be pretty soon now, I'll try the log recorder and see where we are. Thanks for the suggestion on the 91 octane.

P.S. it would probably be easier if I could dig up a specific tune for the Spec.Ops muffler.
    Last edited by njloco; 06-04-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Yeah let me know how you go. i guy i know drags bikes and told me that the twins have a lower compression and should be ran with the lower octance fuel. I have same problem and have just started looking into the buelltooth. looks like a great way to get it running a bit better. i have a Jardine exhaust on mine. Just got to find a place to buy one

Fun facts about gas!
    With no other changes, Lower octane fuel won't make you bike run differently for the same exact reason that higher octane fuel won't make your bike run differently. A much bigger difference is the quality of fuel. 91 octane pump gas from an old mom and pop station can have vastly different ages, amounts of water, and even Ethanol as it separates in the tank. 91 octane VP will be clean, fresh, and specifically formulated in small batches.

Higher octane ratings are simply a measure of how gasoline resists detonation, It's not a power rating. That is called British Thermal Units (BTU's). Higher octane gasoline actually burns slower and more importantly, more controlled.

Using high octane gasoline allows a higher compression ration (which will net you more torque) and allows you to advance the ignition timing without detonation (netting more HP). Unless you are swapping pistons or changing your timing curve, normal gasoline is fine.

That said. I run 91 octane pump gas in my Buells. I feel they need the octane rating to resist detonation just because they are air cooled and run a wide temperature range, and I use it as a safety buffer because 87 regular is just junk.

Note: I think this high octane=power rumor got started from marketing of course, and because an engine thats rated for regular gasoline that also uses a knock sensor (Buells don't have one) could see power a increase from high octane fuel. The ECM can advance the stock timing automatically to take advantage of it. It's the timing advance that nets you power, not the gas.
    Newer 'dual-fuel' cars that can eat Ethanol are very good at this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast