Thread: Fuel Pump Fuse's blowing?

Fuel Pump Fuse's blowing?

I have a 2009 XB12r, with 30k on the clock. Yesterday, I was riding in our lovely capital city of Madison, in fairly slow moving traffic. Temperature was about 78 degrees, so it was fairly warm. I was accelerating, and the bike just dies. Tried to restart, sounded like a fuel issue, so i checked the fuse and the 10A Fuel Pump fuse blew. So, I put in the spare 10A fuse, fired right up, and about 1/4 mile down the road, same thing. Push the bike into a parking lot and notice the fuse blew again. So in an attempt to get home 10 min down the road, I put in the spare 15A fuse, and it runs perfectly fine. Bikes been sitting at home sense, which was yesterday. Any ideas, before I start looking for a possible wire short somewhere?

Thanks

Also, with the 15A fuse, I tried my hardest to avoid staying still, in case the issue was related to the bike running hot.
    Last edited by MTech14; 05-01-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Inactive
    things to check: when XB pumps head south they typically make a groaning or loud whining noise when the bike has sat unused for a few days then started. can be heard with ignition key on and red-run switch to on prior to start-up. when they get extremely loud in many instances they'll pop the standard 10 amp fuse. can be a tired pump causing your problem.
    most pumps have a stock metal support strap that the wire strand runs past. the gray wire over time will rub against the strap, wear off its insulation, and ground to short. can only be checked and remedied with pump removal.
    check the pump wiring harness. very rare instance but can rub thru frame rail on its way to the main harness. extremely rare.
    lastly....there was a substantial batch of faulty pumps that made their way into 2008 and 2009 models. yours may be one of them. they were notorious for excessive amperage draw and popping fuses.
    i'll also note this: in hotter weather when tank gets to 1 gallon of fuel remaining or lower XB pumps will occasionally heat up and randomly pop the fuse. the lower left frame spar where they reside is a pretty warm environment on hot days.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-01-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Fuel tank was mostly full. Tomorrow after work, I will dig into it a little with the information you gave me. Thanks for the quick response!

There is a drain plug (1/8" MPT) in the fuel pump flange. You can make a funnel out of tin foil to keep the swingarm clean.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MTech14 View Post
    Fuel tank was mostly full. Tomorrow after work, I will dig into it a little with the information you gave me. Thanks for the quick response!

yes sir always my pleasure. 2008 and later XB pump factory part # is P0130.5AA for complete plug-and-play assembly. retail $319
    do-it-yourself repair kit with quality pump motor is here
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-EFI-F...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

If the wires in the fuel pump are indeed rubbed through, I recall threads where the wires were repaired using heat shrink.

Yes, I've read the same ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Try this https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-XB-fuel-tanks
    When you decide to drain the tank.

Great info ! Thank you to the very helpful posters...Im sure I will need this info myself down the road on an 06 Uly.