Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedo Sensor

Cool Speedo Sensor

Looking to see if anyone has a part number for a 2003 buell xb9r speed sensor. I hit a pothole last year and it stopped working. Mph doesn't move and the mileage doesn't increase. I will start there because it went before I bought the bike the previous owner replaced. My next step will be to check the ground underneath the front fairing. Appreciate any help or suggestions thanks!

Does the tach work? I would do some diagnosing before I spent my valuable beer money on a total guess.

IIRC the '03 has a one-year 12v speedo sensor, where the later ones have a 5v one. You can convert it.

Inactive
    factory part # is 74431-01B....speed sensor...infinite quantity available.
    microfiche also shows factory part # 74402-95 for the same part and i don't know why. go with first listing to be sure.
    not sure what shaughn is referring to regarding voltage and 2003 being one-year only part. microfiche shows 2002 tube frame models thru 2007 XB models all.
    it is a "Hall Effect" sensor and it lives in a hostile environment. some fail at alarming rates...others last indefinitely.
    list is $61 so before you throw $ at the problem check firebolt ground wire cluster behind the fairing, your connections at the gauge cluster, and remove the speed sensor and try cleaning it. sometimes a good cleaning resolves the issue.
    i'll also add that an XB with faulty/broken engine mounts and warm curb idle speed set at a ridiculously low speed adversely affects sensor life-span.

There was a thread on BadWeb I thought recently saw. I could totally be mistaken, so take it FWIW.

thanks guys ill report back with my findings!!

and yes the tacho does work

update: bike will be going into the shop this coming Wednesday, got a slow leak in the front tire and would also like a tune up. Need a few other things done that I cannot do myself before my season begins in upstate. BTW does anyone have any links to an exhaust or knows any custom work?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MMARVINxb9 View Post
    BTW does anyone have any links to an exhaust or knows any custom work?
    Contact Kosman http://kosmanspecialties.com then can widen rims. I sent them my rim for weldup.

I heard that if you widen the wheels, your tires last for over 15,000 miles!

MMarvinxb9: If you youtube "Buell exhaust" you can hear crappy iPhone sound bites of all the mufflers available. Some loud, some quiet, depends on what your looking for. I think a link to the "Buell Exhaust shootout" is on Buelltooth.com? If not, it's worth a google

IMHO, Dean Adams (Keda) is the best for power and the loudest on an XB, Drummer is quiet, lopey, and also a quality piece. Barkers is a good middle ground, and Jardines tend to blow up behind the V-twin.

If you do get exhaust, don't forget to get the matching tune! IDS.com sells the right ECM's, or you can do it yourself if you are confident using ECMDroid (for free on Google Play) and communicating with the bike via a wireless bluetooth dongle (I like mine from Buelltooth).

Tons of info here on tuning, don't be afraid to search

awesome thank you so much definitely something to think and look into what size is your tire now? probably looks sexy asf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast