Thread: Brand new fuel pump, still whining

Brand new fuel pump, still whining

Hi

I have another interesting case for you guys with my full-of-surprise 05' XB12Scg ! The fuel pump has recently been changed, which was whining almost every time I would turn the ignition/switch on. And surprisingly, the sound did not go away. You can hear this out in the video below, it still happens from time to time:

I am now wondering what reason can be behind this, and knowing that I already have some electrical bug somewhere (still inquiring on that!), I am even wondering if it could be related.

Thoughts?

Max.
    Last edited by herwawan; 05-03-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Sounds like its cavitating? Is it a stock pump? Mustang pump? Was the filter sock new? is it on the inlet tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Sounds like its cavitating? Is it a stock pump? Mustang pump? Was the filter sock new? is it on the inlet tight?
    I bought this part on John's recommendation: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-EFI-F...53.m2749.l2649

Yes, it came with a new filter sock (and even put a new low fuel sensor, unrelated haha).

What do you mean by "is it on the inlet tight"? Also, sorry but I don't really understand the word "cavitating"? Can't find any synonym who'd help!

Cavitations,, a rough surface as a result of air bubbles exploding against the surface of whatever is pumping it, an example would be a boats propeller rotating in the water producing air bubbles. It will greatly reduce the efficiency of whatever is rotating in the liquid.

Like its sucking air.

O.k. I guess there is probably more than one meaning, but It does sound like a horn, so it's either blowing air or sucking air, either way it does not make sense for a new pump to make this noise. I'm guessing your going to have to take it apart and find out what's happening, but before you do that, have someone turn it on for you while you take a wooden stick ( piece of broom stick works very well ) and hold one end against the outside flange of the pump and the other end to your ear. This will just make sure that it is the pump making the noise.

I know I don't hear that well anymore, but it really sounds like a horn getting just enough electricity to barely make it go off, disconnect your horn and see if it still does it.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.

When you installed the pump, did you check the flexible hoses attached to the pump? As they age, they can develop holes.