Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Occasional Choking

Hybrid View

Occasional Choking

2009 Buell XB12Ss, 24k miles, Drummer SS, EBR ECM, open airbox:

Sometimes, when I go to down shift and I blip the throttle to rev match, the motorcycle will not rev up, but instead it will choke and fire off a little pop through the intake. What, if anything, should I be looking into?

Tps reset

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Tps reset
    Followed the 2009 TPS reset procedure. Key on, run switch on, throttle open to close X 3, off then on. Symptom still present.

Throttle body clean?

You say (Occasional Choking ) Do you think it is rich or lean ? What do your plugs look like ?

Banned
    My engine can sometimes chock for a second when I shift from neutral to first gear, and sometimes when I start releasing clutch lever at 1st gear. It even stopped once.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-03-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    You say (Occasional Choking ) Do you think it is rich or lean ? What do your plugs look like ?
    The EBR ECM is matched up for my exact muffler/air filter combo. With the exception of the occasional occurrence of above mentioned issue, the bike seems to run smooth. I don't have a compelling reason to believe that it is running rich/lean. I installed new, OEM Harley plugs like 400 miles ago. The old ones seemed consistent with normal wear, dark brownish, some charring.

Throttle body clean?
    The throttle body looked clean when I had the air filter off when I was changing the spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    The EBR ECM is matched up for my exact muffler/air filter combo. With the exception of the occasional occurrence of above mentioned issue, the bike seems to run smooth. I don't have a compelling reason to believe that it is running rich/lean. I installed new, OEM Harley plugs like 400 miles ago. The old ones seemed consistent with normal wear, dark brownish, some charring.

The throttle body looked clean when I had the air filter off when I was changing the spark plugs.
    I ask about the tb cleanliness because i would assume that would result in a less than thorough tps setting on the late model bikes. In my experience in the early bikes the sticky gunk that builds up in the throttle body makes the plate stick and hang up also makes it hard to reach a zero reading for a reset. Throttle tip in is pretty reliant on that tps assuming your a/F setup is good.

I ask about the tb cleanliness because i would assume that would result in a less than thorough tps setting on the late model bikes. In my experience in the early bikes the sticky gunk that builds up in the throttle body makes the plate stick and hang up also makes it hard to reach a zero reading for a reset. Throttle tip in is pretty reliant on that tps assuming your a/F setup is good.
    There was a bit of a thin film of greasiness on the butterfly valve and the funnel area. Give it a wipe? Maybe with some de-greaser sprayed on a rag?

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    There was a bit of a thin film of greasiness on the butterfly valve and the funnel area. Give it a wipe? Maybe with some de-greaser sprayed on a rag?
    yeah just some TB cleaner or brake clean on a rag and wipe it out really well. then do a reset. couldnt hurt. you'll have one simple thing checked off the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast