Thread: can i use a ecm off a firebolt/lightning on my ulysses?

can i use a ecm off a firebolt/lightning on my ulysses?

Hello out there,

Been on the forum a few times and I have a question as I am a tight arse when it comes to spending money on stuff that might not fit.

Ive been offered a NOS ecm for an buell XB at a reasonable price. got part number and it shows up for a firebolt/lightning. Can i use this on my ulysses? Gut feeling says it would be fine, but i like to make sure.

Why are you changing your ECM in the first place???

Before someone else also asks, year ? stock ? mods ? Are you the original owner ? You know, a little info on the bike.

From what I understand, with the exception of certain year bike's, as long as it's an XB12 to an XB12 the answer is yes.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Must remember to update my profile.

my bike is a 2007 buell xb12x ulysses. k&n filter,slightly opened up airbox lid. custom reverse exhaust. 200w led headlights. Soon to have a zlt2 front caliper

as far as I can gather the ecm is a race ecm according to the box and instructions

Since no one has answered yet, I think it would have to be from an 05 to 07, definitely not later than 07, but with all those mods, you've been running it with a stock ecm ? If so and, if it fits year wise, that race ecm should make it run a lot better.

Buell ECM's are mostly interchangeable, but DDFI-2 ('03-'07) and DDFI-3 ('08-'10) are not.

The only difference between the physical ECM in a XB9 and XB12 is the center pin between the plugs for the active muffler outlet. So if your 12 does not have the stock active muffler solonoid, you can use an ECM from a 9.

There is no physical difference between the stock ECM and a 'Race' ECM either.

Buying an advertised 'race' ECM even with "Race ECM" on the box does not guarantee that it has the correct, or even the 'race' fuel mapping in it. You can put that 'race' mapping into your stock ECM easily. Honestly if it is an OEM untouched Buell factory "Race ECM" may be harder to use for you. Some of them came with hard to find firmware.

For your DDFI-2 ('07) Uly (XB-12) with mods, I would either contact Tim at IDS.com for either another ECM or to program yours. You can also delve into the fun of doing it yourself.

The easiest way I have found is to use the free ECMDroid program (Google play store). You will need to communicate with the bike from your computer or phone with a wireless Bluetooth device (I love mine from Buelltooth.com). That site has detailed instructions on how to do it and even provides fuel maps for free if they have one for your particular firmware.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-06-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks for the replies. Basicly confirms what i was thinking.

I do have ECMspy and used it a few times to reset the tps. one nice thing about the deal on the ECM is it's coming from bike shop who said if it's not what they say it is, they will give me my money back. so got nothing to lose.

Had a look at doing the race map swap but never really got round to it as been rather busy at work.