Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooter puts spools on an XB

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Haha. As long as you aren't drill-phobic. Some think that just because a motorcycle mfg goes out of business, it makes every surviving motorcycle a candidate for The Barber Collection. Ugh.

I feel, it's a SUPER simple mod that makes servicing or storing your bike safer and easier. Hows that for a sales pitch! LOL

Send your internet likes to Cooter c/o The Asylum, Jerome, AZ 86331
    Haha, you mean my (at least) twice been dropped example isn't eligible for Pebble Beach?

On the early swingarms, it is a "dual wall" setup with access to the hollow section between. I may try to get a spacer to fit between the walls and use a through bolt.

I didn't know that about the early ones! Would you be a kind gentleman and post pics of it on here for posterity?

Finished pics of your spool install would be nice as well, haha.

I will be doing this asap.

-EDIT-
    Just ordered spools.
    Last edited by jetlee; 02-18-2020 at 06:44 PM.

I didn't know that about the early ones! Would you be a kind gentleman and post pics of it on here for posterity?

Finished pics of your spool install would be nice as well, haha.

EVER HEARD OF GOOGLE?!?!?!? OR SEARCH??!?!?

Here's yer pics. I will need to look inside to see how far back they remain hollow.

swing1.JPG

swing2.JPG
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-18-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Haha. As long as you aren't drill-phobic. Some think that just because a motorcycle mfg goes out of business, it makes every surviving motorcycle a candidate for The Barber Collection. Ugh.

I feel, it's a SUPER simple mod that makes servicing or storing your bike safer and easier. Hows that for a sales pitch! LOL

Send your internet likes to Cooter c/o The Asylum, Jerome, AZ 86331
    Hey! Do they allow visitors at the Asylum? Maybe I'll come and visit you. Ha ha. I may ride to Jerome soon. Have you been there on Halloween? How bout Nellie Bly's? Cool place.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlee View Post
    I will be doing this asap.
    Sweet! Please add pics when you do it, we know you'll do it right I'm curious how long a bolt/sleeve you'll need... or even better, a slightly longer shouldered bolt with a nylon crush washer would be slick. Who cares if they spin?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I will need to look inside to see how far back they remain hollow.
    Ya buddy, exactly The support rod thing I made that slips through the center of the axle is great for anything except and rear wheel removal Spools are so much more solid than depending on the rubber pad things. IMO, spools should be mandatory on anything that doesn't come with a center stand.

Quote Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
    Hey! Do they allow visitors at the Asylum? Maybe I'll come and visit you. Ha ha. I may ride to Jerome soon. Have you been there on Halloween? How bout Nellie Bly's? Cool place.
    Jerome is so cool! I have some family history there from back in the mining days. Theres even a map of all the underground mines in the museum that my great-uncle made. Never been on Halloween, is it a thing? I've been to Maynards place (a fan) but whats Nellie Blys?
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-19-2020 at 03:10 AM.

If I have time, I'll check out the museum and look for that map. I was told years ago that they close the streets and have bands playing and such. You got to book a room a year in advance for Halloween. I'll get the scoop when I get there.

Oddly enough I found out Nellie Bly was a journalist who wrote an expose on asylum patient conditions in 1887!

http://www.nellieblyscopes.com/ Cool shop. Maynards, is that the guy with all the old machinery?

Ya buddy, exactly The support rod thing I made that slips through the center of the axle is great for anything except and rear wheel removal Spools are so much more solid than depending on the rubber pad things. IMO, spools should be mandatory on anything that doesn't come with a center stand.
    My XB came equipped with the threaded rod style spool/sliders (aka Cooter-killers) on the new bike. I agree about spools on any bike without a provision for a center stand. At least the manufacturer could provide the bosses to attach the spools to.

Now that I converted mine to a Scg, I cant get a floor jack underneath it, so I may start looking into this as well.

New swinging arm with functioning drain plug, spools added.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast