Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faster Idle Clutch Out / Slower Clutch in

Faster Idle Clutch Out / Slower Clutch in

Hi, I've noticed my idle speed is faster (1300+) with the clutch left out (in Neutral) but as soon as I pull the clutch in the idle drops to what I call normal speed 1050rpm. Being that I have a 2009 XB12 I don't know how to adjust the idle speed as the idle adjuster screw is not behind the left fork.

I would love to hear from people who know whats going on and how I can fix it.
    Last edited by devonbiker; 05-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by devonbiker View Post
    Hi, I've noticed my idle speed is faster (1300+) with the clutch left out (in Neutral) but as soon as I pull the clutch in the idle drops to what I call normal speed 1050rpm. Being that I have a 2009 XB12 I don't know how to adjust the idle speed as the idle adjuster screw is not behind the left fork.

I would love to hear from people who know whats going on and how I can fix it.
    your 2009 does NOT have a curb idle/tps adjustment screw behind the factory left side scoop. last year for that arrangement is 2007 XB's all models. your cold and hot curb idle speed is adjusted by the ecm via the IAC assembly which is part of the throttle body full assembly. in other words it is automatically adjusted by bikes' computer. what causes your situation: believe it or not either a faulty neutral indicator switch or a faulty clutch lever safety interlock switch....or both. a faulty IAC rarely acts like that. i'll also add that the IAC is now listed NLA which is bad news for XB owners. good news is that i still have new ones in stock.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.

What he said.
    Do you have a working neutral light?
    Is the diode in the fuse box? Is it pointing the right way?
    I would assume the clutch switch is ok because it idles up with the lever out. You can check it for continuity easily.
    An IAC could do it, that is checked easily too, but you should have access to ECMDroid for diagnosis.

My neutral switch indicator is playing up. It’s currently disconnected until the new part is replaced which is happening this Saturday morning. I had been having intermittent neutral green light disappear when in neutral intermittently and the engine would cut out when side stand was down. Now the neutral light switch is disconnected I have engine management light on but all faulty symptoms have disappeared. However I was having this idle issue before the switch was disconnected but don’t remember for how long or whether its been getting worse as the neutral switch has been getting worse?
    Last edited by devonbiker; 05-10-2018 at 05:54 AM.

After the switch is replaced, clear the codes and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    After the switch is replaced, clear the codes and you should be fine.
    Thanks. I'll report back how it went.

i'll also add that the IAC is now listed NLA which is bad news for XB owners. good news is that i still have new ones in stock.
    surprised how has found an automotive equivalent yet for the IAC?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by devonbiker View Post
    My neutral switch indicator is playing up. It’s currently disconnected until the new part is replaced which is happening this Saturday morning. I had been having intermittent neutral green light disappear when in neutral intermittently and the engine would cut out when side stand was down. Now the neutral light switch is disconnected I have engine management light on but all faulty symptoms have disappeared. However I was having this idle issue before the switch was disconnected but don’t remember for how long or whether its been getting worse as the neutral switch has been getting worse?

My neutral switch indicator is playing up. It’s currently disconnected until the new part is replaced

would have been nice of you to mention this when you posted your "what's wrong with my bike" question.
    the complete lack of not only common sense but consideration from a few board members never ceases to amaze me.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-10-2018 at 01:22 PM.

^^^^^👍👍

FWIW as a Buell noob and a rookie to any EFI thing ever, the thought that the neutral switch was related would never have crossed my mind. Also, having been yelled at in past forums for cluttering posts with legitimately unrelated issues (i couldn't tell at the time), i especially would not have thought to post about it. i think devonbiker did his best and i'd've done the same.

Awesome help here from lunatic, cheers, and i learned something today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast