Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter screeching/grinding - why?

Starter screeching/grinding - why?

Hey all,
    I have an 08 1125r and just picked up an '09 XB12xt. Starting to service it, but my immediate concern is that sometimes the gears seem to slip when starting (including fresh off charger) - for maybe a fracton of a second before catching. AWFUL sound!

What components should I look at to service here?
    Thanks for any help.
    -sm

Inactive
    incredibly loose primary drive chain.....starter headed to starter graveyard.....starter over-run clutch. it's #12 in schematic. when it goes south it makes an incredible grinding/groaning/screeching noise and gets worse when motor is on hot-start mode. i'll take #12 for $200 Alex!

799223.jpg

I'll double the bet for (#12) Alex! That clutch will sound like death

Is that a starter clutch which is separate from the transmission clutch? Yes, it definitely happens when hot.

Lastly, how close am i to being stranded here? It happens maybe 50% of the time.

And the replacement would be just that part listed? #12

I won't send $200, or $400, but can promise to send a starbucks sized paypal gift for whoever got the right prediction on this one.
    Thanks!

Check the repair procedure in the service manual to prepare for the job. It will take at least a crank locking tool (you can make yourself).

You can find the manual download for free at Buellmods.com for Buelltooth.com

Inactive
    Is that a starter clutch which is separate from the transmission clutch? Yes, it definitely happens when hot.
    if you're asking this question you do NOT have the mechanical aptitude, skills or knowledge to tackle this job.

yes. called starter drive clutch assembly in parts world slang. factory part #31663-90 and superseded later by #31556-91B

Lastly, how close am i to being stranded here? It happens maybe 50% of the time.
    odds of being stranded are about the same as a guy who continues to ride with a terminally ill battery that will only start his bike after being on a "tender" overnite.

you would be best served by shopping around locally for either a privateer or shop that knows Sportsters and their starter systems well as yours' is one and the same. and if they recommend replacing entire starter steer clear of cheapo garbage aftermarket crap. still to this day the OEM starter remains the finest i've ever seen.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    if you're asking this question you do NOT have the mechanical aptitude, skills or knowledge to tackle this job.

yes. called starter drive clutch assembly in parts world slang. factory part #31663-90 and superseded later by #31556-91B

odds of being stranded are about the same as a guy who continues to ride with a terminally ill battery that will only start his bike after being on a "tender" overnite.

you would be best served by shopping around locally for either a privateer or shop that knows Sportsters and their starter systems well as yours' is one and the same. and if they recommend replacing entire starter steer clear of cheapo garbage aftermarket crap. still to this day the OEM starter remains the finest i've ever seen.
    I would suggest the same based on my lack of lingo (and especially wrt life efficiency...but that's another thread, and forum...), but at the end of the day as an engineer, a diy guy, and as someone who wants to know how to maintain these vehicles, I'm going to do this myself, logical decision or not. Bikes don't make much sense anyway after all.

The battery appears to be fine, but that is only based on cranking habits compared to youtube Ulys, and resting voltage. Tender hasn't been needed for anything. Ulys seem to have a rep for hard starting.

Anyway I appreciate the help, will update after the replacement.

Also, interestingly, the problem has not happened since replacing the years old old oil, causal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sailmoto View Post
    Bikes don't make much sense anyway after all.
    I applaud the willingness to DIY something, but that is a scary sentence.

If you prep correctly for the job and read through the procedure in the service manual not youtube it is pretty straight forward. If you get stuck, we're here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    incredibly loose primary drive chain.....starter headed to starter graveyard.....starter over-run clutch. it's #12 in schematic. when it goes south it makes an incredible grinding/groaning/screeching noise and gets worse when motor is on hot-start mode. i'll take #12 for $200 Alex!

799223.jpg
    Herr Buell-whisperer,

How would a loose primary chain cause a screech or a grind with the starter??

I'm not doubting your wisdom, as you are as wise as you are great. Teach me Sensei.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast