Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter screeching/grinding - why?

Banned
    Primary chain does not affect starter.

A questionable primary chain will rattle and make noise as the engine is turning. You can hear it better if the bike is just cranking and not running loudly.

I had a Kawi Ninja 1000R in 1986 that had a chain driven off the starter sprag and liked to snap them Had to listen to the warning signs because when it broke, it would settle in the bottom of the case and do some damage.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Herr Buell-whisperer,

How would a loose primary chain cause a screech or a grind with the starter??

I'm not doubting your wisdom, as you are as wise as you are great. Teach me Sensei.

aaron: contrary to what buffoon TEABAG added as per his latest troll...the primary chain is in fact part of the starting system. if not for the chain the power of the starter would NOT be transferred to the crankshaft itself spinning the motor over. have seen a few XB's thru the years with incredibly loose primary chains not only add to the "compression bump" problem but also make one hell of a racket when in crank-to-start mode. that is why i mentioned it. takes 45 seconds to check so worth mentioning to the guy with the noise question.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    aaron: contrary to what buffoon TEABAG added as per his latest troll...the primary chain is in fact part of the starting system. if not for the chain the power of the starter would NOT be transferred to the crankshaft itself spinning the motor over. have seen a few XB's thru the years with incredibly loose primary chains not only add to the "compression bump" problem but also make one hell of a racket when in crank-to-start mode. that is why i mentioned it. takes 45 seconds to check so worth mentioning to the guy with the noise question.

Ah, good point! I didn't consider that.

Banned
    You don't need even check if primary is extremely loose, if it is the motorcycle moves jerky.

TEABAG you are a idiot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    You don't need even check if primary is extremely loose, if it is the motorcycle moves jerky.

"Jerky"..... as in Beef Jerky??? Interesting concept.

Banned
    Choppy, shaking back and forth. You will definitely know if the primary chain is extremely loose.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownEngineer View Post
    "Jerky"..... as in Beef Jerky??? Interesting concept.

LOL. chris.....where the hell have you been son?????????

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    LOL. chris.....where the hell have you been son?????????
    I've been around, popping in now and then like a thief in the night. Mostly to learn from the wisdom of TPEHAK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast