Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long distance touring windshield option

Long distance touring windshield option

Hey all! I just picked up my second Buell, a xb12xt. I really like it so far, it is very capable and I'm loving having storage and not killing my back compared to my 1125r. Anyways I bought a schuberth C3 pro helmet at the same time as picking up this bike and despite being advertised as quiet it was surprisingly loud with the tall windshield. I ended up standing up on the pegs tonight and the sound went from a total roar as normal to comparatively whisper-quiet. Apparently the buffeting of the tall windshield is causing the noise.

My question is this. I tried riding it naked and it is indeed a lot more quiet. However, considering that I want to be prepared to be stuck in the elements, cold and or wet, and that I want to keep the noise down, what would your suggestion? Ride naked or use a small windscreen which I have not tried or make the tall windscreen even taller?

Inactive
    i've owned at least 12 ulysses' thru the years and played around with many different "taller than stock" windscreens....some as large as riot shields....some slightly taller than the XT stocker. the inherent problem with ulys/xt's is that from a frontal perspective they're aerodynamically very "dirty". bug eye lights with a screen...bucket....hand protectors...somewhat large signals...lollipop mirrors....all play into air management or lack thereof and helmet buffeting. what worked for me and others may not do the job for you. but for me the stock screen with the adjustable Laminar Lip nicely and easily accomplished what i was looking for which was minimal buffeting along with moisture protection during inclement riding. this was with stock seat, stock bars, no risers. i'm 6ft and 32" inseam. and i never have nor ever will look THRU a windscreen. always over the top of.
    see link below. Leo owns LL and a great guy. his customer support unrivaled. spend $6 for the pack of 20 extra fasteners which increases adjustment range. IMO riot shields on a uly/XT not only look like effing hell but adversely affect handling including the dreaded and dangerous handlebar flutter along with high speed wobbles.

http://www.laminarlip.com/xbxu.php

I’m joining the conversation - very useful link, John, thanks! I was actually looking for something similar for future long trips with my Scg and I see they have something on their catalog 👍

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i've owned at least 12 ulysses' thru the years and played around with many different "taller than stock" windscreens....some as large as riot shields....some slightly taller than the XT stocker. the inherent problem with ulys/xt's is that from a frontal perspective they're aerodynamically very "dirty". bug eye lights with a screen...bucket....hand protectors...somewhat large signals...lollipop mirrors....all play into air management or lack thereof and helmet buffeting. what worked for me and others may not do the job for you. but for me the stock screen with the adjustable Laminar Lip nicely and easily accomplished what i was looking for which was minimal buffeting along with moisture protection during inclement riding. this was with stock seat, stock bars, no risers. i'm 6ft and 32" inseam. and i never have nor ever will look THRU a windscreen. always over the top of.
    see link below. Leo owns LL and a great guy. his customer support unrivaled. spend $6 for the pack of 20 extra fasteners which increases adjustment range. IMO riot shields on a uly/XT not only look like effing hell but adversely affect handling including the dreaded and dangerous handlebar flutter along with high speed wobbles.

http://www.laminarlip.com/xbxu.php
    Looks like this is the only adjustable option out there these days - are you talking about extra fasteners from laminarlip or from a dealer? Couldn't find any on his website.
    Thanks!

That is a great link! The best looking option IMO, and reasonable price to boot. Thanks Lunatic.

Inactive
    sure thing shaughn and i had installed LL's on at least 3 Ulys as i recall but couldn't find a single close-up. contacted guy from NYC i sold my 2010 to and he still has it....LL still installed. here's close-up. for me it was all i needed to substantially decrease noise and buffeting and get air-flow out of and away cockpit area. was $ well spent for sure.

2010 uly lip.jpg

Are those extra holes drilled through the clear plastic part of the original wind screen ?

I once put a taller than stock flyscreen on my XB12Ss... I believe it was a Zero Gravity unit. It actually made the wind buffeting WORSE, so I ditched it and back to the stock flyscreen. I simply endure it.

So far I have tried the stock tall (massive buffeting), stock small (some buffeting), and naked (no buffeting; need to use neck muscles at 65mph and up).

I have ordered the palmer bracket and will keep experimenting, and might get the laminar lip if I can't get it sorted with windshield angle adjustments. Aso, I might just end up stowing the windshield most of the time.

My Madstad windshield did wonders for me.
    Madstad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast