Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with 35 miles per gallon

What to do with 35 miles per gallon

Hey all. Very helpful forum so far! So I am getting consistently about 36 miles per gallon. This is lower speed and not running it super hard. Maybe medium fast. This is an 09 xb12xt. I can't imagine that anything other than an ECM change or a physical fix could add 10 more miles per gallon. What are the details I should check or work with here, or is 35mpg within the normal range?

I have two Buell Motorcycles and they both get worse miles per gallon than an old Saturn that I used to have
    Last edited by sailmoto; 05-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Any mods? and no offense but, is your MPG calculation accurate?

Most of my XB's have been modded (muffler, K&N, programming) and I ride poorly, but MPG is usually way above 40. In fact I just fought a DAY of 40mph headwinds at 80+MPH (SUCKED) and got 43 mpg for those 2 tanks on my STT. I'll get 51 if I don't ride like an A-hole, but thats not often

Edit: Something as simple as an intake leak would do that. It's easy to test. The manual can be found at Buellmods.com.

You can easily check the AFV in the ECM using the free ECMDroid program (google play store). It needs a Bluetooth dongle to wirelessly connect to the bike. I like mine from Buelltooth.com.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-13-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Inactive
    So I am getting consistently about 36 miles per gallon. This is lower speed and not running it super hard. This is an 09 xb12xt.

48-55mpg the norm with any year ulysses/XT ridden sensibly, in pristine condition, lightly loaded and minimal mods.
    either your math sucks or you've got a serious problem. typically an expert reading both plugs can determine what's going on.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-13-2018 at 01:59 PM.

You sure your odometer is working correctly? That's if you are using the one on the bike. Should have someone follow you in car or bike and see if both odometers read the same. Just reset trip odometer.

Though I've done the MPG check, I can't remember what it was now but, they run smooth so I don't really care. I guess now you could start thinking that's something is wrong, check the intake seals and plugs, it's easy enough, smell your exhaust ( that doesn't sound right ) if it smells like gasoline, then you know for sure it's running rich but as stated above your plugs will tell a lot.

P.S. Also take note of your driving habits.

Datalog it and check it out. That's pretty much the easiest way.

My math is correct but yes it is based on the odometer. I believe that the highest I have gotten has been 40 miles per gallon. No mods that I can tell. The plugs looked somewhat rich but keep in mind that I just bought this bike with 19,000 miles and it has been neglected for about 3 years. So here is one of the spark plugs. However I'm really not sure how much we can learn from this since the history is completely unknown.

20180511_230210.jpgI

Banned
    You might have slipping clutch, so engine makes more turns per mile and burs more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Datalog it and check it out. That's pretty much the easiest way.
    Is this something that I would do with ECM spy or Buell tooth?

Also the air filter is pretty dirty - a little bit of oil is on it. The bike was way over filled with oil when I got it. I have another filter on the way by next week. I doubt it will give me 5 miles per gallon but it might help a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast