Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light

Check engine light

My 06 Ulysses check engine light started coming on, and when this happens, it would start to run rich. After reading a post here, I cleaned the ground behind the headlights. Then the fan started to come on when I rode a while and then shut off the engine. First, is that normal? Then it stopped coming on and the check engine light came on again, same problem. Then I cleaned the 2 grounds near the fuse panel and found one of those looked burnt. I cleaned that and everything seems to be working fine now. I have a trip planned soon and don’t want to have problems. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Danny Morrison; 05-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Inactive
    there's no way in hell i'd EVER take your ulysses on a trip given its condition. personally i wouldn't ride it the next town over.
    and given your last post re: this all you ever have to do to refresh your memory is click on your own name then click latest threads or latest replies or both. will give you your own history. nothing you mentioned is "normal"....it's all somewhat serious IMO and the problems should be identified and repaired prior to riding it further.
    1-follow link below. you have a voluminous amount of stored fault codes. find out what they are. this method will NOT allow you to clear them...only identify the problems. report back with findings for further assistance.
    2-2006 ulysses has following grounds and all need to be pristine: 4 wire cluster at headlight/upper triple clamp area.....left inner frame rail cluster and neg. batt cable.....dog-bone braided wire at rear of and under airbox base plate. check ALL.
    3-left inner frame rail ground cluster burned? rather serious condition needing addressed immediately via step #2. it's telling you the factory grounds are failing and the electrical system is resorting to any other grounds it can find and over-loading them. electricity in a negative ground vehicle flows from negative to positive....not the other way around as commonly thought

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

Thank you sir !!

Inactive
    my pleasure danny. follow the simple instructions on the link i sent you....get the # for each stored fault code....look up on the chart what they're identified as and report back. i'll try and walk you thru the fixes. at the very least i suspect #16 will be in there and that's traditionally associated with dirty/loose battery cables and faulty grounds.

OK I checked the codes and they read number 13,14, and 21. I tried to check these codes a few days ago before I cleaned the grounds and they would never show up. Could the bad grounds be causing all of these problems ?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Morrison View Post
    OK I checked the codes and they read number 13,14, and 21. I tried to check these codes a few days ago before I cleaned the grounds and they would never show up. Could the bad grounds be causing all of these problems ?
    The trouble codes are as follows:

11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor

15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 Interactive muffler control (XB12 only)
    23 Front fuell injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    32 Rear fuell injector
    33 Fuell pump
    35 Tachometer
    36 Cooling fan
    44 Bank angle sensor
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Morrison View Post
    typically no. this is a generalization but those codes do in combination play into your possible "rich" condition. a combination of an O2 sensor fault...an interactive exhaust system fault...and a temp sensor(top of rear cylinder head) fault might well be having your ecm dump more fuel load into the motor than required. surely the ecm gurus will chime in with their collective opinions but tell ya what danny.....if it was my bike i'd get my hands on the software necessary to access the ecm, clear the fault codes, go thru all the grounds one-by-one and make sure they're flawless....pay special attention to both battery cable terminals also being flawless and tight to the batt terminals....then ride it normally and see what you have. instead of randomly throwing parts and sensors at it that's what i'd do to establish a base-line and hone in on a likely single problem.

I had a faulty head temp sensor and it was giving me all kinds of weird issues all the way to boiling fuel in the frame. The tell tale sign was the fan not kicking on after I parked the bike. I did some diagnosis with ECMDroid and it was pretty much pointing its finger at the head temp sensor.

It sounds like you have some more work to do, and you are on the right path. Cootie and Loonie will keep you on point and not sugar coat it. If you are willing to do the work, you will reap the reward.

So, if I buy a cable to connect to my computer, (ECMSPY) or whatever it’s called, can I clear the codes with that without some other type of software or other hardware? I think you can buy that for $30 or $40 or so, correct?

BTW, I did clean ALL of those grounds, and everything seems to be working correctly at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast