Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strange intermittant/random slapping sound-2006 uly-25k miles

Where is the sound coming from

Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    Ah okay, yes I meant the sprocket that's on the crank. Does it serve the same purpose as on the big twins; dampening the vibration onto the lower end and drive train from the motor?

Anyhow thanks for the clarification, doesn't seem like this would be the issue then.

Have you listened to the videos I posted earlier?

The sprocket is just a sprocket attached to the (charging) rotor. No damping or damping mechanism to come apart like a Big Twin. But the nut has been known to loosen and it can come off and rattle against the side of the primary.

Id recommend pulling the primary cover just to be on the safe side.

My money is on piston slap. But it can be hard to pinpoint a sound on these noisy beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The sprocket is just a sprocket attached to the (charging) rotor. No damping or damping mechanism to come apart like a Big Twin. But the nut has been known to loosen and it can come off and rattle against the side of the primary.

I’d recommend pulling the primary cover just to be on the safe side.

My money is on piston slap. But it can be hard to pinpoint a sound on these noisy beasts.
    I've heard a couple people say piston slap, what exactly is that? Just it slapping the cylinder wall due to worn rings?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueRebel View Post
    Where is the sound coming from
    Hard to tell. Seems like it's coming from the left side/primary side. Can't tell if it's on the top side or bottom side of the primary cover. Definitely towards the front.

Last year I replaced the clutch cable and spark plugs, rode it for 1k miles or so without noise. Suddenly this spring it is making this noise. I was hoping someone could tell from the video what it might be...I've tried using a screw driver handle to hear where the sound is coming from but it's not distinguishable enough for me to isolate it.

The pistons and cylinders wear a bit over time.

A lot of times on engines the piston is designed to fit better as the bike warms up. It will expand a bit as it warms up and will fit the bore better. When its cool, it may fit a little loose.

I'm going to pull the primary tonight or tomorrow and see what's going on. I'll respond back with what I do or don't find. If I don't see anything, then I guess it's cylinder and piston wear like 34nineteen suggests, which kind of sucks.

Lunatic if your still looking at this, I hit the muffler with a rubber mallet and nothing rattles, so I don't think it's a broken baffle.....

Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    I'm going to pull the primary tonight or tomorrow and see what's going on. I'll respond back with what I do or don't find. If I don't see anything, then I guess it's cylinder and piston wear like 34nineteen suggests, which kind of sucks.

Lunatic if your still looking at this, I hit the muffler with a rubber mallet and nothing rattles, so I don't think it's a broken baffle.....
    yes sir.....saw this thread but not following. i'll risk upsetting you and/or hurting your feelings and that is NOT my intent. my intent here is to help you resolve this as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. you're asking questions about 4-way flashers....clutch plates....compensator sprockets. that tells me you're on a very steep learning curve with bikes in general and buells in particular. have been there myself ions ago but remember the learning curve well. before you start tearing into the unknown allow me to make a highly educated suggestion: call around your area....locate a mechanic with sportster acumen and experience....reach out for him....ask if he has a mechanics' stethoscope...and if he'd be willing to listen to your bike both cold and warm. it's basic 1957 sportster architecture. an individual with that knowledge can quickly discern normal wear-and-tear noise from a potential problem PLUS isolate the noise and its source. that's what i'd do if i were you.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    yes sir.....saw this thread but not following. i'll risk upsetting you and/or hurting your feelings and that is NOT my intent. my intent here is to help you resolve this as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. you're asking questions about 4-way flashers....clutch plates....compensator sprockets. that tells me you're on a very steep learning curve with bikes in general and buells in particular. have been there myself ions ago but remember the learning curve well. before you start tearing into the unknown allow me to make a highly educated suggestion: call around your area....locate a mechanic with sportster acumen and experience....reach out for him....ask if he has a mechanics' stethoscope...and if he'd be willing to listen to your bike both cold and warm. it's basic 1957 sportster architecture. an individual with that knowledge can quickly discern normal wear-and-tear noise from a potential problem PLUS isolate the noise and its source. that's what i'd do if i were you.
    Not upset at all, appreciate your advice. I am relatively new to tearing into and diagnosing issues on my bike. I've ridden them for 20 years but it hasn't been until recently that I have tried to do it myself. Usually my dad (in his sixties, grew up tearing apart bikes; harleys and jap bikes. Took some mechanics classes in college (then dropped out) and was a mechanic for a few years in his youth, and a home mechanic his whole life) would be the one to jump on this kind of stuff but he's far away and not in the best of health...but yes I'll see if I can find someone that has some more experience to look at it as you mentioned.

Anyway, I'll respond back once I figure out what it is. Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

Just degrease the old gasket with brake cleaner and rag and reuse it.

Idk what happened here. I tried to edit the comment and it deleted, not very phone friendly. I'll repost the gist of my comment below for anyone who stumbles upon this:

Pulled primary no wear, front sprocket nut was tight. Here are pics https://m.imgur.com/a/tuOgoow and I think the rate is actually from my left air scoop coming loose

HD gave me wrong primary gasket.

Now to respond to tephak, I already wadded it up and threw it away. I'll just get the correct one and do it right. I don't want to have to buy another quart of oil and redo this if I had used the old gasket and it leaked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123