Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strange intermittant/random slapping sound-2006 uly-25k miles

Where is the sound coming from

Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    Ah okay, yes I meant the sprocket that's on the crank. Does it serve the same purpose as on the big twins; dampening the vibration onto the lower end and drive train from the motor?

Anyhow thanks for the clarification, doesn't seem like this would be the issue then.

Have you listened to the videos I posted earlier?

The sprocket is just a sprocket attached to the (charging) rotor. No damping or damping mechanism to come apart like a Big Twin. But the nut has been known to loosen and it can come off and rattle against the side of the primary.

I’d recommend pulling the primary cover just to be on the safe side.

My money is on piston slap. But it can be hard to pinpoint a sound on these noisy beasts.

deleted
    Last edited by cknapp; 05-18-2019 at 05:29 PM.

deleted

The pistons and cylinders wear a bit over time.

A lot of times on engines the piston is designed to fit better as the bike warms up. It will expand a bit as it warms up and will fit the bore better. When its cool, it may fit a little loose.

deleted

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    I'm going to pull the primary tonight or tomorrow and see what's going on. I'll respond back with what I do or don't find. If I don't see anything, then I guess it's cylinder and piston wear like 34nineteen suggests, which kind of sucks.

Lunatic if your still looking at this, I hit the muffler with a rubber mallet and nothing rattles, so I don't think it's a broken baffle.....
    yes sir.....saw this thread but not following. i'll risk upsetting you and/or hurting your feelings and that is NOT my intent. my intent here is to help you resolve this as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. you're asking questions about 4-way flashers....clutch plates....compensator sprockets. that tells me you're on a very steep learning curve with bikes in general and buells in particular. have been there myself ions ago but remember the learning curve well. before you start tearing into the unknown allow me to make a highly educated suggestion: call around your area....locate a mechanic with sportster acumen and experience....reach out for him....ask if he has a mechanics' stethoscope...and if he'd be willing to listen to your bike both cold and warm. it's basic 1957 sportster architecture. an individual with that knowledge can quickly discern normal wear-and-tear noise from a potential problem PLUS isolate the noise and its source. that's what i'd do if i were you.

deleted

Banned
    Just degrease the old gasket with brake cleaner and rag and reuse it.

deleted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123