Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9R Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by charlevoixboy View Post

Dang! You do good work !

Thanks everyone! Everything but the neutral switch came in today so tomorrow I'll be busy. Picked up an Alpinestars leather jacket today and boots for $120 (used.) should be better than nothing. Gloves and pants are next.

Also, in a higher gear (4th or 5th) cruising along at like 30mph, do the Buells tend to be a little jerky? The second I open the throttle a little more it smooths right out as I accelerate. I'm assuming it's just a big v twin thing, but I don't have anything to compare to.

Banned
    30-40 mph is for 3rd gear, 40-50 mph is 4th, 50mph and up is 5th. It is jerky because of the RPM at this gear is too low for this speed. You have to avoid riding at wrong gear.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-25-2018 at 05:34 AM.

That's what I figured. I was dropping down a gear to clear it up, just didn't know if I had a tuning problem or if that's just the nature of the beast. Thanks!

They are torquey but they will RPM all day without issue. I'll cruise all day at 80mph. I wouldn't recommend accelerating hard below 3000rpm. Lugging an engine will cause many more problems than using the rpm in the power band.

Still chasing the mysterious rear o2 always lean codes. Afv is at 103ish, so if it was a weak pump or plugged filter wouldn't it be a lot higher? I'm wondering if the k&n air filter is throwing the values off just enough at part throttle low load cruise to cause an issue. That's where it feels like the bike stumbles.

Got the steering head bearings in today, replaced the speed sensor, added a ground from the battery to the each anchor point and did a oil change. Rode about 100 yards and the clutch cable snapped at the lever! Tomorrow I'll make a mold and solder a new end on the cable, I'm determined to put some miles on it this weekend!

Banned
    Please share the cable end repairing process.

Buy a new cable

I've got a new cable on the way, but haven't ever had a problem with a repaired one if done right. I can post up some basic stuff if anyone's curious. Obviously do so at your own risk, but repairing one isn't any different of a process then a manufacturer or an old school mechanic has done to shorten or make custom cables.

My 03XB ate Speed Sensors for Breakfast. They had a re-wire kit that changed the supply voltage from the ecm to 5v. Was a little bit of a pain to install, but haven't blown one in 10 years since installing.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast