Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9R Rebuild

I figured it's just a big twin thing, was just wondering. Reminds me of the 2 stroke MX bikes when you're cruising just below getting on the pipe. I checked the full sweep of the tps and didn't see any flat spots or erroneous voltages.

I'm also on the lookout for a set of passenger pegs and brackets if someone has some kicking around. My bike didn't come with any

Well I decided to be the guinea pig! I bought a used voltage regulator to try to test as a good upgrade to the Buell. Heard of too many Harley's and Buells eating stators so I figured why not take a stab at upgrading to a cheap alternative. The voltage regular I went with is a SH775AA regulator, which is a series voltage regulator NOT a shunt or mosfet. The difference is that the series voltage regulator runs the stator only when it needs power, and shuts it off when it doesn't (thus not building up lots of heat.) In contrast, the shunt type (mosfet is still a shunt) run the stator wide open and dump any unused power back to ground. This can overload the stator, which relies on oil running/flinging over it to cool. This heat can break down the windings and eventually short out and fail = no fun.

As luck would have it, the SH775AA regulator is a common Can-Am, BRP, and Sea Doo part ( P# 710001103 or 710-001-103) and is also used by Polaris on Rzr's and UTV's ( P# 4012941 ). It's a 35A unit, and Polaris mates it to stators around the 500watt mark, so it's flexible. I used an online parts supplier to act as a guide to use while surfing eBay for a good used test candidate. Beware of the cheap new ones on eBay! They are fakes! A new Polaris or BRP one is around $130 as a gauge, the china knockoffs are not the series type. I picked up a used one off a 2005 Can-Am outlander 400 for $25 shipped, that happened to come with the jumper harness on it (I'll need the plugs to make a jumper harness from the buell to the VR so I don't cut any wires.) These harnesses or connectors can be bought separately new for like $10 on eBay. The plan is to make a plug and play harness from the buell to the new VR so I can plug in and go, all while easing up on the stator and extending its life. I'll keep everyone posted! Now time to track down the correct connectors for the Buell harness...
    Last edited by charlevoixboy; 06-12-2018 at 02:41 AM.

It very well could be a minor issue of some kind, hard to say without personally riding it. Doesn't sound like too big a deal though.

Pillion brackets and pegs are easy to get. These classifieds (or Ebay) for used stuff and SPHDonline.com for new stuff

Good for you on the VR. That's exactly the one to get It was '09 1125's that had the stator overheating issues from the shunt VR and inadequate temp ratings on the windings. It's happened with the XB's on rare occasion, but never been a big problem.

FYI, "Series" or "Shunt" is what it does to get rid of (or not make) electricity. "MOSFET" is the type of switching it does to do that (and there are different generations of MOSFET as well). You could have a Series/MOSFET VR, etc. etc.

I forgot to tell you about the 'Buell bump' in regards to the starting.
    Even with the best battery (like a Deka), you need a minimum of 220CA for the high compression heavy rotating assembly of the V-twin. There are lots of 200CA batteries and lots of cheap falsely rated 220CA eBay batteries that won't work well even new.

It goes like this:
    -If what you are experiencing is a start-to-crank then chattering from the starter solenoid your battery is discharged, weak, or has plates shorted. Fix accordingly.
    -If what happens is crank-stall-crank-crank-crank it's fairly typical and can be rectified by pressing the starter button, the releasing it and immediately (>.5 second) pressing it again and holding it until the bike starts.
    What that does is get the momentum of the crank moving the right way after it bounces off the compression stroke that it's having a hard time overcoming with just the starter. It won't grind anything or hurt anything and theres no "friction events" to worry about, LOL.

Yeah I usually blip it if it doesnt pop over right away. Usually it pops immediately and idles away, way better than my ninja did!

I'm going to upgrade the 77 connector while I'm doing wiring, so I guess this won't be a "true" plug and play, although one could source the old connector if they want. Mine hasn't arced, but while I'm in there I may as well do it right.

Good catch on the mosfet. I was just trying to stress that even the mosfet voltage regulators are putting non stop high load on the stators. I see a lot of "aftermarket" VR's advertised as being a better unit because they're a mosfet type. While it is true they're more efficient and cleaner at converting power, it's still not a stress reliever for the stator.

I've seen a lot of chatter about the 1125's stators burning up, and both those guys and the Ducati guys were converting over to the Shindengen SH775 line of VR with good success

Does anyone know if I'm able to buy parts for my seat latch lock? It appears at some point the PO disassembled the back of my lock, and lost the little arm you hook the cable into. I have the lock, the spring, and the little retainer, but I'm missing the arm and the bolt to hold it on. I've attached a schematic. I'm missing everything between #8 and #7 besides the spring. Anyone have a broken one they'd sell these off of? If not I'll fab one up!
    Last edited by charlevoixboy; 06-15-2018 at 02:02 AM.

I didn't price it new from SPHDonline.com but this one is cheap with free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-03-Bue...ty!90245!US!-1

Update on the regulator: the unit I received is not the SH775 type regulator, so do not use one from an 05 Outlander. It appears in newer years ~2013 they started using the sh775 type, but the older incorrect ones share the same part number on that site. Just letting you know!

Turns out there's a Harley cross reference to the SH775 regulator as well (part# 4012941) which is a SH775BB regulator for a 2014-2017 Harley XG500. I've got one in the mail and will report back on my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by charlevoixboy View Post
    Turns out there's a Harley cross reference to the SH775 regulator as well (part# 4012941) which is a SH775BB regulator for a 2014-2017 Harley XG500. I've got one in the mail and will report back on my findings.
    This is the regulator I had on my 1125CR. No problems with charging. But it is big and clunky to mount.

http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercyc...Regulators.htm

Here is a blog about someone with charging woes on their 1125, and the various solutions:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/buellregulator/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast