Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2003 XB9R Rebuild

Got the regulator all put on the buell. Very happy with the outcome! Nice steady 13.5v now

I'll attach some pics of the install soon. I made a plug and play harness, but did upgrade the 77 connector while I was there because of reading about it arcing and melting. Didn't want to experience that out on the road.

Pics:

Sh775 wiring plugs

Adapter harness made with correct Deutsch DTP 2-Pin Male/Female Kit 10-12AWG (eBay) and Deutsch DTP 4-Pin Genuine Male Connector Kit 12-14AWG (eBay) both combined ~$25 shipped

I used 3/16 x 3/4 steel for the mounting bracket about 14" long (before I cut it in pieces) to make a bracket that adapts the old mounting bracket to the new sh775 in the same location. I used a large nut as the spacer, and tilted the piece I cut from the Harley bracket (that was included with my used sh775bb regulator) back about 15* to gain some clearance for the plugs

All buttoned up!

Last edited by charlevoixboy; 06-26-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Glad the worked out the way you like it Thanks for the pics!

Even if it's just a waste of $60 at least I spent some time in the garage! Hopefully the posts will be useful as parts for the buells get harder to find

Well it appears my stator bit the dust. Things were going great until I was met with a dead battery after a long ride and test continuity to ground on each of the yellow wires coming from the stator showed perfect continuity (dead short.) It appears my stator has officially bit the dust : /

I like all the info. I also have an 03 9R. Been out of the buell scene for a bit and just found out about buell tooth. I have an iPhone and I can’t get buelltooth to connect to my laptop. Do you have a recommendation for an android tablet? Last I tuned my bike, ECMSpy was still downloadable. 😳

Any Android tablet with Bluetooth will work just fine even the cheap ones.

Quote Originally Posted by charlevoixboy View Post
    Well it appears my stator bit the dust. Things were going great until I was met with a dead battery after a long ride and test continuity to ground on each of the yellow wires coming from the stator showed perfect continuity (dead short.) It appears my stator has officially bit the dust : /
    Hopefully you didn't destroy your new regulator. When stator goes a lot of times it over heats reg and burns it up.You might of got lucky and it didn't.
    Last edited by rchuff; 07-16-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Finally pulled the Buell out of winter storage and put a new stator in. Old one was completely toast, poles closest to stator wires were all charred and black. Happy to report a nice even 14.1 volts at idle, looks like the regulator didn’t get damaged by the stator going out.

I don’t think the VR upgrade was the cause of the stator going out, as when I first got the bike I noticed there was some continuity (although with resistance) from the stator wires to ground, so it appears it was already burnt. This spring I used another fluke and it showed each stator pole was a perfect circuit to ground, so definite red flag.

I’ll report back once I put some more miles on her!

Glad it worked out. At least the charging system is rebuilt.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678