Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Buell is for me? :)

Smile Which Buell is for me? :)

Hey everyone!!! Basically I’ve been dying to get a Buell, I’ve owned several bikes, a old school Honda chopper, a ZX6r, and a older Yamaha Cafe Racer... basically I would like just a nice bike that is actually worth something lol. I think the Buell XB fits the bill for what I want. A great all around bike. So the question is.... I need model recommendations...
    I’m 23 years old, 5’10 180lbs.
    I want the ability to ride 2Up that’s comfy for her 5’8 130lbs.
    I have a naked bike now and honestly it’s not fun long distance on the highway, does that rule out the lightning?
    I want a 2006-2008 XB12 right? Best years?
    Does anyone know if they made a Red Bike with Gold wheels these years??? They seem very hard to find.
    So the “S” is a Lightning, the “R” is a Firebolt, the SS is long, but what the heck is a X or SCG? Lol
    Thanks for the help everyone!!
    84A78F19-F1E1-442A-9BD9-DF2DF07E067F.jpg
    Last edited by IanT720; 05-18-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Banned
    Best year is 2010

Inactive
    i'm 2 inches taller and 10 lbs. heavier than you. my opinions are as follows:
    1-R is firebolt. punishing ergonomics for most but stylish aesthetics
    2-you'll be incredibly cramped and uncomfortable 2-up on a firebolt or standard lightning.
    3-SCG is a lightning with lowered stock suspension, shorter side stand, lower seat. called the L model 2003 only. it's short, low, squatty and stubby but popular.
    4-and X is a ulysses....an XT is in essence a ulysses but set up for touring. factory luggage is outstanding. does NOT have front beek fender...standard lightning fender. very popular, roomy, comfy and wonderful ergonomics.
    5-generally speaking the Ss which is a lightning but lengthened, the Stt which is an Ss with dumb looking number plates and other quasi-isle of man garbage on it, the X and the XT are the roomiest and most comfy. the Ss, Stt, X and XT all have lengthened frames and larger cockpit area.
    6-the basic parts on all buell XB models interchange such as motors, wheels, brake parts, wiring, cosmetics, internals, you name it. parts extremely plentiful and always will be. aftermarket support outstanding....dealer support now getting non-existent.
    7-2008 saw across-the-board sweeping changes to the EFI system...sensor system...oiling system....suspension....host of other changes and upgrades. 2010 is last year....few made...odd-balls to some degree but great bikes. easily spotted by an O2 sensor on the front header tube.
    8-stay the hell away from turds, beaters, junkers, questionable titles, owners bragging up 1/4mile speeds, ones needing major work. they're not worth it and technically challenging for the novice. board members occasionally offer their steeds for sale and generally are pretty good bikes.
    lastly, don't know where you're located but board member kenny/NJloco has a friend with a like new 2007 Stt up for sale. almost no miles, flawless as i recall, and around $4000 as memory serves. outstanding price for a very nice bike that you might like. perhaps reach out for him. he's southern NJ.
    here's a link to view. wonderful stats, pics, info that will help.

http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/201...1983-2009.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

THANK YOU!!!! That is a wealth of information!!

Welcome !! ,,, If you are doing a lot of 2 up ? A Uly is best , IMO

Sorry, my friends Cherry STT sold, but I don't think it would have fit you for two up riding, the Ulysses is the one you want to look for as all it would need is a Madstad fairing and you would be good to go, 2008-2010 or XT model.

IMHO any long framed bike Ss, STT, or Uly would be fine with a touring seat. At 5'10" you'll want to get drop pegs and you can find whatever handle bars you like if the stockers aren't right.

2008 and up saw some good improvements, and although I think it's worth the slight increase in price for the Thunderstorm engine, they all are pretty bulletproof. I would have no problem on a '03-'07 without worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk&t=236s

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Welcome !! ,,, If you are doing a lot of 2 up ? A Uly is best , IMO
    If you're doing any 2up...uly! My wife actually prefers it over my Harley. Nice wide thick seat, tons of suspension, good visibility, nice rear peg placement and the stock luggage holds a ton of stuff

If Buell does not make the exact bike you want you can just build it from the available factory and aftermarket parts. I always liked the Firebolt back half but thought the front looked like it had a goofy overbite, and I liked the Lightning front half but thought the back half looked like a bug you would find on your screen door, so my solution was to buy all carbon aftermarket parts and build a LightningBolt; Lightning in the front, Firebolt in the rear. For me, the combination of the Lightning front with regular bars and the Firebolt with it's single deeper seat is a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
    If Buell does not make the exact bike you want you can just build it from the available factory and aftermarket parts. I always liked the Firebolt back half but thought the front looked like it had a goofy overbite, and I liked the Lightning front half but thought the back half looked like a bug you would find on your screen door, so my solution was to buy all carbon aftermarket parts and build a LightningBolt; Lightning in the front, Firebolt in the rear. For me, the combination of the Lightning front with regular bars and the Firebolt with it's single deeper seat is a great combo.
    I realized that... These bikes are rare!!! 2008-10 XB12SS's are damn near impossible to find, so when I do find one, I know it will probably be the wrong colors lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast