Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody heard from Kona?

Banned
    I had Merida, Ghost, and now I have Haibike.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Looking good. I used to have Kona's in the past. I had a Hei Hei 29er and Unit 29er. They were fun bikes.

I'm waiting to get my new Pivot Trail 429!
    Unfortunately I missed the Pivot demo near me two years in a row now. I've been out of town every time they show up. Really want to try the switchblade. I like more travel, not that its needed around here but my thinking is if I buy the bike the gnar trails will come?

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    I had Merida, Ghost, and now I have Haibike.
    How many local trails are accepting of the e-bike? Lots of hate around this area on them but its also pretty flat. In a more mountainous area I can see how they would be a great alternative to a shuttle. You must notice the extra bulk while riding though right? Which model do you have?

Banned
    I ride mostly in the city so I'm not sure about trails policy. I feel extra bulk only with no assist. With electric assist it feels pretty the same as conventional bicycle. I have Haibike xduro allmtn 6.0 2018.

I ride mostly in the city so I'm not sure about trails policy. I feel extra bulk only with no assist. With electric assist it feels pretty the same as conventional bicycle. I have Haibike xduro allmtn 6.0 2018.
    Thats a lot of bike for the city. I guess you dont feel curbs or speed bumps at all though.

Banned
    I like to jump on speed bumps and ride downstairs. Speed bumps are made for fun.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-25-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    Unfortunately I missed the Pivot demo near me two years in a row now. I've been out of town every time they show up. Really want to try the switchblade. I like more travel, not that its needed around here but my thinking is if I buy the bike the gnar trails will come?

How many local trails are accepting of the e-bike? Lots of hate around this area on them but its also pretty flat. In a more mountainous area I can see how they would be a great alternative to a shuttle. You must notice the extra bulk while riding though right? Which model do you have?

The Switchblade is an amazing bike, but its a bit much for me as well. Lots of people love it as it tends to fill all the checkboxes for what a lot of riders wanted.

E-bikes are still quite controversial about where they are permitted to ride. More and more trails are granting access to the Class 1 e-bikes, as land managers are able to ride them and really wrap their head around what an e-bike really does and what its advantages really are (and aren't). I think there will always be some trails that e-bikes will never be allowed on, just as there are some hiking trails a mountain bike will never be allowed on. I've ridden a bunch of e-bikes, but I still prefer the old-school, au naturel approach. Anyhow, if you ever do get a chance to pedal around an e-bike at a demo day, you should. They are a heck of a lot of fun!

Banned
    Talking about pedal assisted bicycles you basically put same effort and same time to ride ebike and burn same calories as for conventional bike but you just go faster and further. And you have more freedom for sure.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-25-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Talking about pedal assisted bicycles you basically put same effort and same time to ride ebike and burn same calories as for conventional bike but you just go faster and further. And you have more freedom for sure.
    Freedom is still somewhat limited by sketchy trail access, but if you do your homework ahead of time, you should be ok.

Like TPEHAK mentioned, a lot of e-bike owners have experienced that as well. People typically do go out for longer rides, and tend to push themselves a bit harder than they would on a conventional bike. A Class 1 e-bike is likely what TPEHAK has with his Haibike, an those bikes DO NOT HAVE A THROTTLE. They are designed only to provide PEDAL ASSIST, and do not provide assistance when the bike is coasting. They also stop providing pedal assist once the bike hits 20mph.

A Class 2 e-bike is basically a electric dirt bike. Those have a throttle and do not require the rider to pedal.

A Class 3 e-bike is similar to a Class 1 except that the motor cuts off above 28mph. They are typically regulated as an OHV like a dirt bike as well.

They're not for everyone, but it does open doors for people to get off the forums and go out and RIDE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12