Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about rear wheel axle / 2007 XB12SS

Question about rear wheel axle / 2007 XB12SS

Hi Guys,
    Yesterday i changed bearings and spacer in rear wheel of my 2007 XB12SS and i have one question. Axle was installed with correct strenght (66Nm) but left side of axle is a little outside of the swingarm. Frankly speaking i don't remember how it looked before - i removed wheel first time. Please look on video how it looks like. Am i did something wrong or everything is ok and this is quite normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEggsKQr3U

During wheel mounting i did everything like You wrote - tighting torque was correct. Axle is around 2-3mm outside of the swingarm, so as You wrote this is ok. Thx for Your help

Banned
    There should be gap, otherwise you will not be able to slide the wheel in. Gap is only on the right side, the left side is clamped to the swingarm with axle.

^^^^^^ what in God's name are you talking about? He was asking if a few mm's of axle sticking out of the swingarm on the left side of the machine (standing behind it) was ok!!!!!!

I'm not disagreeing with you guys but, I just looked at my totally stock untouched 07 rear wheel, it does not stick out at all !
    Now, I looked at his video, and it is sticking out, lunaticfringe would know more about, if this is an actual problem or not, than anyone else on here (all due respect guys).

TBAG, if someone asks a question, and a senior member answers them, please have the courtesy to wait patiently while it plays out a bit before you volunteer your opinion.

I have never seen it myself, but I remember at least one thread (Badweb I believe) that had the same issue.

The result was a heavily overtorqued rear axle had stretched in comparison to a new one. I'll actually have my rear axle out tomorrow, I'll try to remember to measure it accurately and post what I find. I wonder if that spec is in the service manual? I look at my paper copy tomorrow

Guys, i see that the opinions are a little divided so after that what i have read, maybe i will try to explain more about my issue.

Around two weeks ago because of the problem with tyre i had to disassemble this wheel. I did this first time and during installation i know that i overtorqued rear axle (i had problem with dynamometric wrench). In effect, bearings have been squeezed and spacer have been damaged. I bought new genuine bearings and spacer and after installation with correct torque a have this situation. That's why i asked You because in my opinion before whole this situation axle didn't stick out of the swingarm but i wasn't sure for 100%.

Now, when @Cooter wrote about axle stretching, i remember that when i was waiting for new bearings i had axle in my hands couple times and she looked a curved in the middle... Unfortunately during first installation i used really too much torque and maybe here is the problem...

@Cooter, if You don't forget to measure axle i will be really grateful.
    Last edited by lukasz; 05-23-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Inactive
    i remember that when i was waiting for new bearings i had axle in my hands couple times and she looked a curved in the middle.

STOP RIGHT THERE! that's a serious situation remedied only by a new rear axle. replace it immediately!
    i have 6 assorted Buells in my shop right now....5 are mine and 1 is customer bike. just checked them all for you. none protrude as far as your axle. using a straight-edge 3 are flush....1 is a mm beneath...2 of them protrude a millimeter or so. my 2008 XB12 Black Lightning has never been ridden or even dealer prepped. it's still a "crate" bike and it's axle is flush.
    ALL XB 2-bearing rear wheel axles are 14.250 inches/362millimeters in length.
    also note that you've been trolled by this TEABAG dork. a continuing problem on here that won't go away.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i remember that when i was waiting for new bearings i had axle in my hands couple times and she looked a curved in the middle.

STOP RIGHT THERE! that's a serious situation remedied only by a new rear axle. replace it immediately!
    OK, thanks for checking another bikes. It looks like i also damage axle using too big force during tightening and i must buy new one.

Banned
    You also probably squished the swingarm bushing so now the axle goes deeper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast