Thread: Fuel Pump Concern

Fuel Pump Concern

Own two 07 TT Lightnings. One has 38K miles the other 21. A couple days ago when I went to start the 38K bike, the fuel pump made kind of a grumbling sound for a second or so then continued pumping up. It hasn't done that since. The 38K fuel pump produces a much lower pitch noise when pumping up than the 21K pump. The pump on the 21K bike sounds like its pumping faster.

1. Do I have anything to be concerned about?
    2. Should I be proactive and just replace it before the pump goes south?
    3. Anyone have an aftermarket fuel pump assembly part number?

Thanks for your help.

Inactive
    hey ed: i'd be a bit concerned as typically what happens is the pump starts to growl and whine when sitting unused for several days...then it gets quiet for a bit...then the growling and groaning gets louder and it starts popping the pump fuse in the fuse box due to a heavy amperage draw. fairly easy to remove and rebuild once you remove the factory hex style drain plug at the pump assembly. below is a link to a kit i've used many times. not the cheapest around but complete, very top quality as opposed to the $15 chinese POS jobs online. once you have the pump removed and the kit layed out on your work bench it's self-explanatory and an easy freshening to perform. i'll also add that you MUST replace the 2 housing O-rings when doing the pump and coat them with light grease or O-ring silicone lube upon installation. if not they'll tear and leak like hell. dealer retail is $6.50 each. i have them @ a pair for that price. let me know if you need any.
    here ya go:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-EFI-F...ty!17540!US!-1
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-25-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Here is an easy DIY way to remove the pump without removing the swingarm completely

Two Great Posts, thank you for both responses.

John, PM sent.