Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold blooded.. backfires through airbox

Cold blooded.. backfires through airbox

2007 XB12R Race ECU, airbox delete, exhaust valve actuator deleted and valve always open.

The bike is really cold blooded. It backfires through the airbox while lightly riding the bike until it warms up. Once warmed up, it seems decent. It has been this way since I bought the bike. I would really like to put a stock airbox and actuator on the bike to see if it fixes things. Anyone in Chicagoland that has parts laying around they want to sell? Perhaps someone has ECM Spy?

Any help is appreciated.

Start with the basics. TPS reset, check/clean all your grounds, inspect your wiring, inspect your ecu, test your battery and draw, check your spark plugs, test for intake leak, inspect/clean your TB....

I agree with Grego. Especially the intake leak. You can get a copy of the service manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com for free.

Fix the bike before you modify the bike. There is no reason to think the solid state ECM is the problem, and guessing will only cost you time and money.

Yes, you can find ECMSpy. It is excellent for building a fuel program from scratch and does well with diagnostics. Do you know how to use it?

I would suggest getting the ECMDroid program from the Google play store (for free). Because it does less than ECMSpy, it is very easy to use. You'll need a bluetooth dongle for a wireless connection to your android phone or tablet, instead of a wire to your laptop. I like mine from Buelltooth.

ECMDroid is an excellent diagnostic tool and can tell you in realtime, the live data that the sensors are giving to the ECM as well as the corrections the ECM is making (AFV). A good place to start diagnostics before messing with the ECM program.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-27-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Inactive
    2007 XB12R Race ECU, airbox delete It backfires through the airbox while lightly riding

how can that be?
    you have no base-line to work with....you want to revert to stock configuration...but you want to know what's wrong in its present condition. doesn't quite work like that.
    your baseline would be:
    locate and install TB to airbox base-plate rubber velocity stack with spring clamp.....entire air box assembly with good filter of your choice.....IAT base-plate sensor and confirm it's connected and communicating....complete actuator and cable as YOU mentioned to transform stock muffler back to operational status....correctly install all components......check for any historical fault codes.....install fresh plugs of your choice....then ride and see what you have. anything other than that pure crap shoot.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-27-2018 at 11:18 AM.

How long have you owned the bike ? What mods if any did you do to it ? How long has it been doing this ? More info is needed in order for help.

P.S. the Bluetooth dongle mentioned above it the easiest way to start, I just got one and if I can use it anyone can !
    Last edited by njloco; 05-27-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Start with the basics. TPS reset, check/clean all your grounds, inspect your wiring, inspect your ecu, test your battery and draw, check your spark plugs, test for intake leak, inspect/clean your TB....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I agree with Grego. Especially the intake leak. You can get a copy of the service manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com for free.

Fix the bike before you modify the bike. There is no reason to think the solid state ECM is the problem, and guessing will only cost you time and money.

Yes, you can find ECMSpy. It is excellent for building a fuel program from scratch and does well with diagnostics. Do you know how to use it?

I would suggest getting the ECMDroid program from the Google play store (for free). Because it does less than ECMSpy, it is very easy to use. You'll need a bluetooth dongle for a wireless connection to your android phone or tablet, instead of a wire to your laptop. I like mine from Buelltooth.

ECMDroid is an excellent diagnostic tool and can tell you in realtime, the live data that the sensors are giving to the ECM as well as the corrections the ECM is making (AFV). A good place to start diagnostics before messing with the ECM program.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    2007 XB12R Race ECU, airbox delete It backfires through the airbox while lightly riding

how can that be?
    you have no base-line to work with....you want to revert to stock configuration...but you want to know what's wrong in its present condition. doesn't quite work like that.
    your baseline would be:
    locate and install TB to airbox base-plate rubber velocity stack with spring clamp.....entire air box assembly with good filter of your choice.....IAT base-plate sensor and confirm it's connected and communicating....complete actuator and cable as YOU mentioned to transform stock muffler back to operational status....correctly install all components......check for any historical fault codes.....install fresh plugs of your choice....then ride and see what you have. anything other than that pure crap shoot.
    Thanks! Great links that should help a bunch.

I didn't suspect the ECM as being the issue. I was mainly wondering if there were any known compatibility issues with the way the bike is modified. Also if there are any things commonly known that might cause a backfire through the intake. As for as ECM Spy, I wasn't looking to tune the bike.. just have someone that knows the program that might be able to take a look at what I have going on and help me reset the TPS. Thanks for the info on ECMDroid. I will look into that if nobody around me has the capability to help.

how can that be?
    your baseline would be:
    That is exactly what I was looking to do. Go back to as stock as possible and then work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    How long have you owned the bike ? What mods if any did you do to it ? How long has it been doing this ? More info is needed in order for help.

P.S. the Bluetooth dongle mentioned above it the easiest way to start, I just got one and if I can use it anyone can !
    I bought the bike Sep of 2016. It was already modified when I bought it https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...hlight=chicago Since that thread, I found that it does have the Race ECM.

It has always popped through the intake when cold. The colder it is, the worse it is. I normally have keep the bike in the garage but recently had to leave it outside one evening I had the driveway seal coated and the next morning it was around 45 degrees and on the ride to work, it was backfiring half way to work. It is not constant and happens mainly at light throttle. It is just a pop every once in a while. It will also pop occasionally at idle when sitting at a light.

I had a 10K service done on it by the local HD dealer over the winter and it still has issues. This service included new plugs.

I would love to go back to stock like I said in the first post to rule out issues that may be from the mods. I would love to have access to ECM Spy to see what is going on and to reset the TPS.

Apparently I have exhaust on the bike too... Guess going back to stock is going to be a bit harder than anticipated.

Exhaust.jpg

Apparently I have exhaust on the bike too... Guess going back to stock is going to be a bit harder than anticipated.
    am hoping that pic isn't indicative of the rest of the intake/exhaust mods on your bike because it's garbage and done by someone who doesn't give a **** about workmanship. gutted stocker(???)......missing 1 of the rear clamps....the rear clamp that IS installed isn't even close to being correctly installed. you DO have your work cut out for you.
    Hate to disagree with ya john, but that looks like a d&d pipe to me. And they instruct you to use the one supplied clamp they send with the muffler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast