Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rear caliper 4 pot upgrade. pics :-)

rear caliper 4 pot upgrade. pics :-)

Finally got sick of the crap wooden feeling rear brake on my ulysses. Read up on the common "hidden" brembo caliper upgrade but wanted matching nissin calipers.

Was looking on ebay and managed to buy a NOS 4 pot front left caliper off a triumph trophy. Nice thing it said "nissin" on the side and not "Triumph" like it does on my other bikes. Came with new pads and stainless bleed, so bargain for £110 delivered.

Took the old single pot unit off, took some measurements and got a billet of aluminium that I machined up. I have got the measurements wrote down if anybody wants them.

First impressions are brillant. Lot more feel and lot more power. The caliper has two 30mm pistons and two 34mm pistons.

IMG_20180528_100203.jpg
    IMG_20180528_100215.jpg
    IMG_20180528_102208.jpg
    IMG_20180528_102216.jpg
    IMG_20180528_122745.jpg

Interesting conversion. I’m actually surprised the master cylinder could move enough fluid to activate the 4 pistons. On paper, it seems like it shouldn’t work.

Actually, thats probably why it does work. I hate the rear Buell brake so much I never use it. Ever You get the 'wooden' feeling from a MC that is much too big in relation to the caliper piston size.
    You could get a better feel with the stock caliper by using a smaller rear MC. An easier conversion for sure, as most rear MC...MC's (haha) bolt up the same.

Good job OP, let us know how it works long term

I wonder if it can lock up. Maybe that’s some of the magic is that the cylinder runs out of fluid to push before the caliper can generate enough force to lock up the brake? It could lead to a feel that is a bit more modulate-able.

I’d be curious to hear how this works out in the long run on the road. Just be careful until you get the “feel” figured out.

Keep us posted!

So, has any one tried changing out the rear MC for a smaller one to see if it improves the performance ?

Been out for a few short runs to bed things in and it's getting better all the time. i prefer to use my back brake while riding in traffic. I did try swapping out the pads on the rear for ferodo sintergrip which helped, but still didn't lose the wooden feel.

There was a thread on here https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...linder-upgrade that did a bit of in depth research about the rear master size.

he went for an 11mm bore master combined with a brembo hidden caliper. You can get them in 11mm that match the setup on the buell.

I could probably got up to a 13mm bore master if i need to, but it's not much bigger.

I do have a brand new ztl2/EBR caliper to go up front. cost me $150+ shipping back to the uk. Also have a 19mm radial master too.

How did I miss that thread? Awesome work by AZ

Thanks for the link fattyJr!

nice job! Ive been running a 4 pot Brembo on my X1 for several years now. Love it

20180529_162304.jpg

Been riding the bike to work and the new caliper on the back is working flawlessly. you can rest your foot on the pedal and feel the initial bite, then just ease on the pedal. very progressive. Reccommended upgrade.

Rear brake not important, only 10% of stopping power. Stock is acceptable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast