Thread: Trade forks???

Trade forks???

Hey! First post and its gonna be a longshot, I know . I acquired a bone stock 08 XB12S that I am currently turning into something that is my own. It has the standard silver forks and triples. Was wondering if anyone was interested to trade for their black forks & triples? Mine are in great condition, bike has 18k on it.

On another note, has anyone had their silver fork setup powdercoated/painted? Any insight on this?

Glad to be joining what seems like a really great community. Not a total noob though, I've been riding two wheels since I was about 5, and have owned a couple of zx6r's the past few years

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

You can get them powdercoated but the thickness of the coating can be an issue. Anodise is much thinner and can be done at home too.

Check e-bay for used pars or SPHDonline.com for new ones. Black are desirable so....$$

IIRC the 1125 forks fit and are black. Someone please confirm, I'm not sure if they're the same diameter.

Thanks for the info! My only concern with anodizing is the potential for color fade after a few years, but I know that it is not very likely if done correctly and the bike is stored indoors. Powder coating would be ideal, but yes it depends on the coating thickness. I've heard multiple dimensions from different shops in the twin cities area. I may call up SPHD and make an offer on a set of forks they have for sale, I suppose the worst they can say is no
    Last edited by rtrofimovich; 05-30-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

I powder coated a set of fork tubes black and didnt have any issues. You just need to be careful when you assemble into the trees cause the powder will scratch fairly easy. Also when i powder coat trees.... mask off the insides leave that area bare aluminum.

Ive since switched over the 1125 CR forks which are factory anodized. To use the 1125 forks in XB triples you will been to machine a little off the inside of the brake side fork i believe... i forget the exact measurement but i think the 1125 fork spacing is 0.080" or so wider. If you search EricZ you will see what he did.

Forkspowdercoated1.jpg
    4small.jpg
    2small.jpg
    2011-11-13113240.jpg

these where powdercoated 60% gloss black

ran them for several years without issue.

also higher quality black anodizing should not fade much.... most of the stuff you see fading to purple is cheap Chinese anodizing..... uv does effect it, but the higher end stuff has a uv protector. Im going on 3 years with my new 1125 CR forks and zero fade....

Great info. Thanks Pur Pony

^ Thanks pony, really helpful information! Did you powder them yourself, or get them done at a shop? Also, did you disassemble the forks and do the separate pieces? Shouldn't be a huge issue as I've rebuilt forks in the past but would definitely save some time if I didn't have to

You have to disassemble and clean everything perfectly, no cheating. They bake that stuff at 350*+!

If you get the fork tubes powdercoated like I did on my SS, the powder coating will add a little to the OD of the tube, which can cause scratching when you are sliding them in the triples. I used a deburring tool to create a slight chamfer on the outer edges and used some inexpensive heavy grease and carefully spread the clamps to get the tubes in without scratching them.

I think Lance was selling a set of late model black ones on SPHD.com.