Thread: Help TPS Reset / ECMSpyware

Help TPS Reset / ECMSpyware

Ok, I will try and be as thorough but quick as possible on this.

I got an 09 Ulysses xb12xt at an auction with 1k miles on it. I had to replace the fuel pump and clean the wiring near it - was shortening the fuse. I had the bike run for, literally, a second. Exhaust and all. So it wasn't just an attempt to fire this time.

While on the jack and the rear wheel removed, it took a tumble on its side. Actually, a couple in the process - didn't make a lift bracket and didn't have someone helping me (fortunately no damage).

Anyway, I have yet to hear or have anything fire after that.

Looking at forums, it seems like the common problem with firing up with the buell and Ulysses are a TPS reset - which I tried on the manual reset with turning the throttle. And it seems that I need to focus on a ECMSpyware.

This all being said, is this the direction I should be going?

I don't have the cable - found one on eBay that says it's what I would need.

Is this something that sounds reasonable/feasible to do on my own? One of these projects that I would love to get done at the start of the riding season.

Any insight, advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I THINK this is the direction I should go. Confirmation ?

Since the bike falling over shouldn't effect the ECM programming at all, I'd forget messing with it for now.

get and read the service manual. You can get it for free at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Your bike is an '09 which makes the ECM a DDFI-3 system. The TPS re-set your did by twisting the throttle is fine. No need to open a can of worms. Make sure you did it properly. (In the manual)

To get the bike to run, start with the basics. Fuel, air, spark. Do you have it?
    Multiple attempts to start these bikes without properly warming them up will foul the plugs and cause a no-start condition. Luckily your bike also has an automatic procedure for that too. (In the manual) but I would physically pull both plugs anyway to see their condition, clean them and check for spark.

For diagnostics, I'd suggest getting ECMDroid from the Google Play store (free). It communicates with the bike with a wireless (bluetooth) connection instead of a cable. I like my Bluetooth dongle from Buelltooth.com. There are instructions on there on how to use it.

ECMDroid will have all the sensor data you'll need to see if theres a problem. Still no need to mess with ECM programming, but it will do that too.

If you don't have paddock stands for the rear, a safe way to support it without a rear wheel is a A-frame ladder straddling the bike and tie downs on the pillion peg brackets.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely take those into consideration.

I think the one thing I stated in a manner incorrectly, is that the fall didn't make the bike stop running. It did run for a second. And cut out. And then since, hasn't ran since. Falls happened between.

The other thing, that was done, and doesn't mean I didn't foul them, but I did change the spark plugs later on cause of the 3 things.

I'll pull the plugs, and make sure they're good, again.

And look into those diagnostics too.

Any other feedback or ideas, are definitely welcome.

Thanks!

But the BAS should re-set when the ignition is cycled.

Either way, if he does the most basic of diagnosis he'll find out soon enough. Seems like he's looking for a magic answer from strangers that can't even see his bike.