Thread: Bogging at 4k rpm

Bogging at 4k rpm

Hey Guys,

I got an 06 XB9...Have been trying to iron out the issue I have with this bike stalling out at 4k. If I jump on the gas it will start sputtering and cut out completely at around 4-4.5 k rpm. It won't shut off, but acts like its getting no gas whatsoever. If I back off the throttle it returns back to normal. I saw the thread regarding the extra ground cable from the coil pack. I've done this, it didn't remedy anything.

Anybody got any other ideas?

TPS Reset?

I'm sure that folks will chime in soon. But, it would be helpful for anyone who might help with diagnosing your problem if you could give some more details about the bike. Is it completely stock? What mods have been done? Exhaust? ECM? What is the recent work history on the bike?

Inactive
    ^^^^^^what James mentioned above. other than dedicated coil wire which, by the way, is not intended to nor does it address the problem you're describing.....you've provided nothing. so just for the hell of it let's assume you're TPS has recently been set correctly.....your state-of-tune is decent....your fuel pump has given no signs of imminent failure....your mods are minimal..........the problem typically is......drum roll please...........a failing TPS unit!
    voltage output needs to be checked as per service manual trouble-shooting section on same but that's what my money's on.

[QUOTE=lunaticfringe;602528]^^^^^^what James mentioned above. other than dedicated coil wire which, by the way, is not intended to nor does it address the problem you're describing.....you've provided nothing. so just for the hell of it let's assume you're TPS has recently been set correctly.....your state-of-tune is decent....your fuel pump has given no signs of imminent failure....your mods are minimal..........the problem typically is......drum roll please...........a failing TPS unit!

Sorry guys...I'll elaborate a bit....The bike has a brand new fuel pump and regulator. It is running a stock air cleaner and the air box is unmodified. It has a stock muffler with the internals gutted. I had the bike at a shop recently and he adjusted the timing. The plugs are fresh...I pulled the front one the other day and it looked fine. I got the bike back and it was never running properly. I attempted to reset the TPS unit when I got back. No improvement. The TPS adjustment cable is broken so Ive had to jimmy in there with a vice grips to adjust it that way.

How easy are new TPS units to get?

" I had the bike at a shop recently and he adjusted the timing. The plugs are fresh...I pulled the front one the other day and it looked fine. I got the bike back and it was never running properly " there is your problem ! Recheck the timing, do a TPS reset, then go from there.

Inactive
    [QUOTE=OntarioBueller;602530]
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ^^^^^^what James mentioned above. other than dedicated coil wire which, by the way, is not intended to nor does it address the problem you're describing.....you've provided nothing. so just for the hell of it let's assume you're TPS has recently been set correctly.....your state-of-tune is decent....your fuel pump has given no signs of imminent failure....your mods are minimal..........the problem typically is......drum roll please...........a failing TPS unit!

Sorry guys...I'll elaborate a bit....The bike has a brand new fuel pump and regulator. It is running a stock air cleaner and the air box is unmodified. It has a stock muffler with the internals gutted. I had the bike at a shop recently and he adjusted the timing. The plugs are fresh...I pulled the front one the other day and it looked fine. I got the bike back and it was never running properly. I attempted to reset the TPS unit when I got back. No improvement. The TPS adjustment cable is broken so Ive had to jimmy in there with a vice grips to adjust it that way.

How easy are new TPS units to get?
    here's the specs....the tests....the symptoms....the bad info you're going to be receiving:
    OHMS test: APPROXIMATES.....555 ohms butterfly closed-----3.8 ohms butterfly fully opened.
    VOLTS test: APPROXIMATES....0.5-1.5 volts butterfly closed-----3.9-4.9 volts fully opened.
    Dean Adams provided link above great info but keep in mind that symptom is ALWAYS telegraphed by increasingly annoying lazy throttle response symptom. in other words throttle roll-on isn't crisp and increasingly worse. then gets to a point where bike completely dies upon throttle roll-on. make sense?
    your next question likely to be "if my TPS is faulty is there a cheaper cross reference part?" don't bother asking at this point because you're going to receive a ton of bad and confusing info. if it is then i'll address that question for you. it's complicated.

Ya when I replaced my reg and pump, I replaced all the lines in the assembly as well so I know its not those. Those lines failing is what initially led to all my problems. Im going to try to source a new TPS and go from there. I just checked eBay and it looks to be about a 100 dollar part

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioBueller View Post
    Ya when I replaced my reg and pump, I replaced all the lines in the assembly as well so I know its not those. Those lines failing is what initially led to all my problems. Im going to try to source a new TPS and go from there. I just checked eBay and it looks to be about a 100 dollar part

before you do that test yours using my readings. if it fails the volts and/or ohms test then read the below link. easier to read entire link than for me to start listing numbers, prices, details and particulars. link will help you immensely. and yes....there is a cross-over part on the cheap.

http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/me...tml?1304731781