Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump running problem

Fuel pump running problem

Here is the deal, and this could be multiple problems. I pulled this poor girl from the depths of hell. Here it goes first off it has had the servo removed running d&d exhaust. It backfires on deceleration and seems to loadup at idle I don't think the ECM has been reprogrammed. Today on a ride, still shaking it down, it died and would hardly start, once going i had to hold the idle around 2k to keep it going at a stop. Once i got going all seemed fine, but i was running it hard. After getting home the idle problem went away. Here is another thing, when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump primes like it should but then goes to a lower pitch after pressurized and continues to run. I am not sure what it is doing once started because I can't hear it. If I don't start it, it continues to run and then I smell gas. Putting it through its paces it does fine. Any help would we appreciate. Thank you, Brandon

Forgot to add, 05 xb12scg, it shows engine light after a few seconds of running and the fuel light comes on

get a stock ECM for that year . is a place to start .Unless you are good at remapping. http://buellmods.com/

Question is why does the fuel pump keep running, my last xb would stop as soon as it was pressurized, as did my Ducati, but this one continuesto run

Mine continues to run as well, was told the wires of the fuel pump are notorious for getting rubbed raw. Bought a little fuel pump fix it kit off e-bay but haven't pulled the pump and got going on it yet

The pump running with the bike not running is wrong and needs to be diagnosed but it still shouldn't put fuel in the cylinders because the injectors aren't activated. It will just cycle the fuel through the regulator and back to the tank.

Could the injectors be leaking, and that is why the pump keeps running ?

They would both have to be wide open to not have the pump at least cycle on/off, and the cylinders would fill with fuel and hydrolock in no time

Probably chaffed wires on the pump assembly or a sticking fuel pump relay.

Sounds like your issue is with the fuel pump. I had the same exact issue about 5 or 6 years ago. I pulled the pump, and used some heat shrink that was fuel rated to fix a frayed wire and the problem has been gone!
    I would suggest replacing the fuel filter and fuel sock while you’re in there.
    Google search “Buell xb fuel pump replacement” and you should find all the info you need.
    I found all the parts I needed at my local AutoParts store.
    Here’s a little tip while you have the pump out; use a file to round all the sharp edges on the fuel pump body. At least all the edges that make contact with wires. Should help you to stay fuel pump trouble free for a while
    Good luck

While we're at this subject, do any of you think it would pay to remove a good running fuel pump to take care of the sharp areas and put shrink wrap on the wires before it has this problem ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast