Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump running problem

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    While we're at this subject, do any of you think it would pay to remove a good running fuel pump to take care of the sharp areas and put shrink wrap on the wires before it has this problem ?

no.
    you'll know it kenny when pump needs to come out for servicing. will start to groan loudly.....OR....fuel sensor will go bad and you won't get "low fuel/odometer count up" sequence......OR....pump will start to blow the 10 amp fuse. THEN it will need to be removed and serviced.
    the gray colored feed wire is what they're referring to with chafing. perhaps only 10% develop the problem.

O.k. John, thanks for your prompt response, both bikes are running very well at the present time.

IMHO, If I buy a bike with low mileage, then I know it's been sitting.

So, I drain the tank, and of course pull the pump to change the filter and sock because duh:
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-s3-models-kit

I wouldn't do it 'just because', but since the assembly is in my hand I check the wires and heat shrink them.

I love Buells because their simplicity and reliability are off the chart, but since a motorcycle is usually a toy, us humans look for things to fiddle with that don't necessarily need fiddling.

NJ: You could do it, and if that lets you sleep an night its worth it, But I'm with Lunatic on this one. You'll get plenty of warning if you are one of the very few affected.

Thanks for the responses, I'll get into this, update when I find out.

I had the exact problem and at first I thought it was the fuel pump... Jacob Stark from Motoenthusiasts and I pulled the pump and when we did a pressure check on the unit, I had two holes in the plastic flexible hose that goes from the regulator to the pump. The plastic wears out over time and if you spring a leak, your pump will continue to pump to try to keep the pressure where it needs to be after initial priming. The hose is cheap. Jacob can point you in the right direction for a replacement, and you can watch my channel on youtube (Buellmachine) for pump assembly removal if you are doing it yourself.

Crazy thing, for whatever reason the problem has went away. I'm sure it will reappear leaving me to believe there is a short somewhere. Did a plug change, ordered a Buelltooth, going to load a new map and go throughthe system make sure I'm starting at zero and go from there

I would plan on pulling the pump.
    I would do it this weekend before something truely goes south and you are left stranded somewhere. OR even worse, you crash because you unexpectedly lose engine power.

Very true, there is hiccup at no load, just blipping the throttle, going to do a TPS reset, load up correct map for my set up, fuel light is always on, so I'm thinking in going to get it all sorted out from the ecm, then pull pump out checkit out, thanks for all the help, I'll keep you updated

If your fuel light is always on then you definitely have a frayed wire on your fuel pump. That issue can only be fixed by pulling the pump.
    Also, blipping the throttle on a static Buell will only foul your plugs. Let the bike warm up, ride it a bit, and only blip to rev match on down shifts. No point in blipping the throttle on a fuel injected bike, when it’s sitting still, and the engine is still cold.
    I would fix the fuel pump before loading any maps or anything else. If the fuel pump isn’t working properly you’ll just be compondeing issues by loading different maps.
    That’s my advice.
    Good luck

I had a issue with my pump running all the time, I had a check engine light come on and the code was fuel pump short to ground (or something like that) I found a wire in the harness that rubbed against the ground terminal on my battery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast