Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to know before buying?

What to know before buying?

I saw an XB12R for relatively cheap that I am interested in buying. I have never ridden a Buell or any V-twin. Are there any quirks or weird things to know before I go buy one? Things to look out for when inspecting these bikes?

Also I noticed when looking at the pictures that the owner has put the crankcase ventilation filter on the front of the chassis, right behind the front wheel. Would this concern you all, considering how much water and road grime gets flung up by the wheel?

Show us the bike pic, price with details , and you will get Opinions.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...598573907.html

Other than opinions on this bike I was also wondering if there is anything I should know about XBs in general. Things not talked about in normal reviews, like little things that could annoy someone over time, difficulty/price of maintenance, parts availability/scarcity, etc.
    Last edited by B1300; 06-02-2018 at 05:35 PM.

What can you tell is modified other than the breather and the exhaust? I see the mirrors are missing and it has some cheap LED signals but those are things I see on practically every used bike and I have cleaned up enough times that it's not an issue.

Thanks. Glad I asked.

For not much more, you can get a nicer bike. It seems cheap at $2500, but when you consider you can get a nice one for $3500, the $1000 savings isn't much. The Micron is nice, but the bike does look rough.
    Especially if you can get a nicer bike for just a tad more. $1000 feels like a jump up, but over the long run, it isn't much when you spread it over several years.

I did the same thing I'm saying not to do when I got my Buell. I got the cheap roughed up 2004 XB-12S for $2500 (mainly because the dude would take a bunch of trade items in place of cash). I really should have bought, the 2008 XB-12STT for $3500 that was listed at the same time. So while it only costed me $1000 out of pocket, now I wished I got the STT for more and sold the trade items.

As for the Buell, it definitely is a different bike. I didn't fall in love with it right away as I was used to riding big inline fours (Bandit 1200S, FZ1, CBR1100, etc.). The Buell definitely rides differently and takes some getting used to. But once I did, I sold my CBR-1100XX as the Buell is a better bike for me.

You could get $1000 for that exhaust.
    I wouldn’t pay it but I’ve seen others do it.
    If it was in my area I’d talk him down to 2k just to swap exhausts and resell it for 2500.
    But, I know my way around a Buell.

Here is one that looks original, although not an R.
    https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy...600185489.html

One thought to throw out there... If you can wrench, you can buy a well used machine cheaper, and bring it up to snuff yourself. I have went this avenue after exhausting my search for the right bike/price ratio. Unless the previous owner has meticulously maintained his/her machine, age will take its toll on any bike. You will be throwing another $1k at it, but you will know exactly what has been done to it. My .02 anyway

Specific issues you should search this site for.
    Rear wheel bearings
    Front wheel bearings
    Idler pulley bearings
    Steering stem bearings
    Belt condition
    Front rotors (warpage do to pad build up) cause pulsing
    Air box complete or hacked to ****
    Engine/primary leaks, all can be fixed
    These engines are old and damn near bomb proof,but they tend to weep with age.

None of this is to scare you off, but you ask about specific issues.

Join us, the more the merrier.
    Last edited by badmotorscooter; 06-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Lunaticfringe, yes getting a showroom bike for under $4000 is nice, but that kind of opportunity doesn't come around often for most people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast