Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition fuse keeps blowing

Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    Thanks! I am afraid the wiring is a bit different on my Ulysses (you have a Lightening, correct?). I was reading through your original thread - it started off when you were riding, and then it became worse and it would blow the fuse once you flip the kill switch, right?
    Yes. It got to a point where I would flip the switch and it would instantly blow. I found the frayed wire under my seat, 2009 XB12Ss. The wiring on the Uly is different, trace the wires in the known problematic areas like Lunatic outlined. I narrowed mine down by getting a bunch of fuses and moving around sections of the wiring harness known to be problematic until the fuse stopped popping. Then I focused in on that section till I found it...

Note that if your fuel pump wires are chaffed, you will not be able to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Just keep a few fuses under the seat. and ride on safely.
    believe it or not, I went to the hardware store and bought a package of 25 15A fuses

I replaced all 4 relays with brand new OEM ones (turned out I had that many spare - my wife's Ulysses was having some starter relay issues and I stocked up on them at some point). Will see if that solves the problem...

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Yes. It got to a point where I would flip the switch and it would instantly blow. I found the frayed wire under my seat, 2009 XB12Ss. The wiring on the Uly is different, trace the wires in the known problematic areas like Lunatic outlined. I narrowed mine down by getting a bunch of fuses and moving around sections of the wiring harness known to be problematic until the fuse stopped popping. Then I focused in on that section till I found it...

Note that if your fuel pump wires are chaffed, you will not be able to see that.
    Great, thanks a lot!

Inactive
    I spent some time studying the wiring diagram for the Uly. It appears that a lot of things you mentioned aren't protected by the ignition fuse, but by various other fuses:

cooling fan has it's own fuse
    key switch is on the key switch fuse
    fuel pump is on the fuel pump fuse

they in fact are "related" if you will. this is based on my dealings with this ignition fuse scenario for what seems like an eternity. though the fan and pump each have a dedicated fuse i'm telling you that a terminal fan will not only tend to pop its own fuse but the igntion fuse as well.....and same deal for the fuel pump. if its internal positive feed wire is chafed will do the same. they're always 2 of the first "problem children" i look at when dealing with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    I spent some time studying the wiring diagram for the Uly. It appears that a lot of things you mentioned aren't protected by the ignition fuse, but by various other fuses:

cooling fan has it's own fuse
    key switch is on the key switch fuse
    fuel pump is on the fuel pump fuse

they in fact are "related" if you will. this is based on my dealings with this ignition fuse scenario for what seems like an eternity. though the fan and pump each have a dedicated fuse i'm telling you that a terminal fan will not only tend to pop its own fuse but the igntion fuse as well.....and same deal for the fuel pump. if its internal positive feed wire is chafed will do the same. they're always 2 of the first "problem children" i look at when dealing with this issue.
    Thank you. Isn't the fact they multiple fuses get blown a sign of bad electrical design? Sigh

Banned
    It is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12