Thread: Bleeder valve weeping

Bleeder valve weeping

Hi all,

I changed brake fluid last week (2009 XB12Ss) and noticed a small amount of weeping around the threads (both calipers) after I was done. After doing some searching online about this, it seems to be common for them to weep for a little while if there is any residual brake fluid in the bleed valve since the threads themselves don't create a fluid tight seal. However, I cleaned out the bleed valve nipple (yes, I said nipple ) and have cleaned up weeping fluid from around the top of the threads several times and am still getting a small amount of weeping after a ride. So, I'm thinking of swapping out bleeder valves to see if that solves the problem (hopefully it isn't an issue with the calipers themselves, though it is troublesome that it is happening with both calipers). I thought I'd go with speedbleeders since I've always wanted to try them and they have additional thread sealant built in which might also help prevent any weeping. I did some searching but couldn't find the bleeder valve size. I think it is an SB8125L. Anyone know if that is correct? Here's the website: http://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm.

Also, any suggestions about installation? I know that I can just quickly take out the old bleed valve and install the new one without losing much fluid. But, I wanted to be able to take a look down into the bleed valve opening in the caliper to inspect for damage while I'm in there. I think I can do that by doing a traditional bleed with the OEM bleed valve and just taking the valve all the way out rather than just turning it a 1/4 turn while keeping compression on the brake lever. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    James

Inactive
    james: front and rear STOCK caliper bleeder screw size is M8X1.25 it is a standard size in the motorcycle braking component arena. the correct speedbleeder part # is SB8125. i believe they throw L's at the end of the part # to indicate increased length. they do work nicely and extremely handy for automotive purposes but IMO always found them to be a waste of money for street bikes. and your "weeping" fluid? can be caused by galled bleeder seat in caliper which is extremely unlikely(have never seen it on a street bike)....nicked/dirty/corroded bleeder seat also pretty unlikely on a 9 year old street bike....residual fluid on threads and bleeder that needs re-tightened. my solution when i run into this: have rubber plug handy....remove bleeder....do NOT touch lever or pedal....squeaky clean bleeder seat and threads....Qtip clean caliper seat as best you can....put a dab of thread sealant on the bleeder(i don't use tape)....and reinstall and tighten. always works.

Thanks, John! Great advice as always. Good to hear that you don't think that there is likely any damage to the caliper...I wasn't sure how sensitive the sealing surfaces of the bleeder/caliper are to excessive torque. I don't think I over torqued, but I don't know the history of what they have been through. I do have one question about your technique. Is the rubber plug necessary? Given that you end up cleaning out the plug hole with a Qtip, it seems like the plug might not be needed?

Inactive
    I do have one question about your technique. Is the rubber plug necessary? Given that you end up cleaning out the plug hole with a Qtip, it seems like the plug might not be needed?

sure thing james. i only mentioned the rubber plug and having one handy just in case you remove the bleeder screw and find that it takes longer to clean it up than anticipated....or something else unlikely happens. a clean seat, clean threads, clean bleeder tip and you should be fine. again james.....adding a dab of liquid thread sealant OR a dab of caliper lube grease to the threads solves the problem. i do NOT use teflon tape.

Thanks again, John! That makes sense. Unanticipated things ALWAYS come up for me...so, having the plug there just in case is a good idea. Hopefully a cleaning and adding a little thread sealant will fix the issue. I'll let you know.