Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footpeg Installation (1st Buell)

Footpeg Installation (1st Buell)

I just purchased my first Buell, a 2006 XB12Ss, and need to replace the right footpeg. The stock replacement I ordered is on the way, but I was hoping for some tips or guidance on how to take the old one off and install the new one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The service manual can be downloaded for free at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Truly no offense intended seriously, but It's such a simple job, I worry that you can't figure it out by looking at it. Got a handy buddy you can buy a beer for doing it for you? I'd hate for you to miss a riding weekend because you shoot the spring across the garage never to be found again

Banned
    Wear safety glasses during installation.

Cooter, no offense taken. Thanks a ton for those links to the service manuals. It looked pretty simple at first glance, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I read a couple tips like using needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends to hold the spring in place while changing out the footpeg so I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there like that.

TPEHAK, thanks for that tip too.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris B View Post
    Cooter, no offense taken. Thanks a ton for those links to the service manuals. It looked pretty simple at first glance, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I read a couple tips like using needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends to hold the spring in place while changing out the footpeg so I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there like that.

TPEHAK, thanks for that tip too.

TEABAG douche trolling you. you've been warned. those pegs are tedious. get your new one....bring it by my shop...i'll replace it for you free of charge. in southern PA.

Banned
    Do not listen to lunaticfringe. Anytime you work with springs wear safeglasses. Springs tends to jump in random directions so better be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 06-06-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Ha, thanks for the feedback. I’m in the Chicago area, lunaticfringe, so southern PA might be a bit far for me. I appreciate the offer though.

It is mechanically simple. But notice I didn't say "easy" lol.
    First, spray a little light lube or even WD-40 on the pin and spring. Note how the spring is oriented! Take a pic with your phone just in case.
    Take the E-clip off the bottom with needle nose pliers. It too can fly off at Mach 23million so put a rag around your gloved hand to catch it.
    Drive out the pin with a tapered punch (or thick phillips screw driver) from the bottom. A thicker punch is better but make sure it fits in the hole. The pin will come out, but the punch will keep the whole assembly together.
    Now you can wrap the assembly with your rag and carefully slide the punch back out.
    Pull off the broken peg.
    You'll need a Hulk thumb to push the spring back in place with the new peg.
    Here's the trick: Use the punch (from the bottom) to align the peg, through the spring and barely through the top.
    Now you can tap the pin in from the top, using the punch to align the parts. The pin will drive out the punch with no worry of the spring leaving earth's orbit and taking your eye with it.
    Reinstall e-clip, with the rag in place.
    Take pics and send them to all your friends

Cooter I'm really surprised at you, you left out the most important step, after your finished, drink beer !

P.S. almost forgot, never, never and, I mean never, listen to anything that Teabag says, even if it sounds logical which, it never does !
    Last edited by njloco; 06-06-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Tea bag I wish you lived closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast