Thread: Bike running lean (trouble code 13)

Angry Bike running lean (trouble code 13)

2003 lightning
    I changed the fuel pump because it was making a terrible noise, I then got a check engine light, it was a lean condition fault (trouble code 13) so I then changed the o2 sensor. The bike still didn't run right (no codes) so I adjusted the timing, and throttle position, STILL didn't run good, it finally threw me a code, the code was 13. So now I figured it very could be the injectors, so I pulled the injectors tonight and they were really dirty on the bottom side, I am soaking them and in the mean time I will change plugs, and wires. So far I have done the following to the bike, front tire, brake pads, o2 sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, new battery, cleaning injectors, I will be doing plugs and wires.

Regards,
    Jeff

Are you frustrated by randomly swapping parts and not getting the result you want yet? If so, It's time to diagnose the bike and actually fix it. Please describe "didn't run good" in better detail to us... the people who haven't ridden your bike. "adjusted your timing"? Really? What was it before you adjusted it?

1) Download a service manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com (for free).
    2) A ECM code is a clue not a solution. Read why you would be getting that code.
    3) One of the tests will be to check your intake gaskets. Do that.
    4) Get a program that gives you access to the ECM, like ECMSpy or ECMDroid. They will help considerably to diagnose an your ECM if that's the issue. It rarely is, but you'll need to know what it's doing to find the fault.
    5) Do NOT adjust anything in the ECM yet.

Good luck, post up, and lets see if we can get this girl running for you.
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-07-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks cooter, yes I have a manual, and ecmspy. I have read about the intake seal, so I figured it could either the bike not getting enough fuel or the bike getting to much air if the the intake seals are bad. I'm going to go ahead and do the intake seals, the bike does have 30k miles on it, I won't be able to finish it for awhile but I'll keep you all updated.

By all means do exactly what Cooter suggests, I just want to know, was it running lean before you replaced the fuel pump, if not, then it might be due to the new pump or the installation ? Of course as Cooter said, now you have thrown in other variable's.

P.S. there is a systematic way of trouble shooting these bikes, most don't know it and it just makes it harder for these guys to help.
    Last edited by njloco; 06-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    By all means do exactly what Cooter suggests, I just want to know, was it running lean before you replaced the fuel pump, if not, then it might be due to the new pump or the installation ? Of course as Cooter said, now you have thrown in other variable's.

P.S. there is a systematic way of trouble shooting these bikes, most don't know it and it just makes it harder for these guys to help.
    I am going to check fuel pressure, the strainer filter that was attached to the suction side of the pump was really dirty, that is why now I'm thinking it's the injectors. I will try and figure out how to check fuel pressure and keep you all updated.
    Thanks

So does that mean, it was running lean before you changed out the fuel pump ?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    So does that mean, it was running lean before you changed out the fuel pump ?
    Possibly, when I first got the bike, it didn't have a check engine light on, it didn't run very well and the fuel pump was make a terrible noise. The light came on after the fuel pump change, which then I read the code and it was trouble code 13 o2 sensor always lean, so then I changed the o2 sensor, TPS reset and checked timing.

Well, I might have gotten a bad pump, maybe regulator, or I might of did something wrong installing it, I check PSI today and only got 30.