Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires: what would you do?

Tires: what would you do?

My 06 xb9sx 'bitsa' (it's not exactly stock, who knows what POs have done) has a very new ContiMotion tire in front, and a worn-out-to-wear-bars and squared off ContiMotion rear.

These are obviously not especially sporty tires and i'm not trying to sport-tour on this thing, tho the ContiMotion is a 'sport touring' tire. I'm thinking it may be best to just redo both tires with something sportier.

I am far from a good rider - back on a bike after an 8 year hiatus, and even then never had a bike like a Buell - and I'm not doing track days nor am I riding in the rain unless I get caught in it. I'm honestly considering the fact that i'm not good, and a fresh rear ContiMotion would let me get better at this bike until i *need* a better tire. I've also ridden crummy tires in the past to my limit and then put on better tires and felt like "why did you do that to yourself? these tires are great!" and got faster with better rubber.

Would you....
    1. Buy a new ContiMotion rear
    2. Buy new front and rear tires that are more sporty
    3. If 'yes' to buy new front/rear: what would you buy?
    Last edited by sinikl; 06-07-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Banned
    Buy just rear

I actually like the Conti-motions for what they are. Just because they are inexpensive doesn't make them slippery. They are still a 'sport' tire and can be ridden confidently to the sidewall.

If you are admittedly not leaning far or aggressively riding there are many tires you can get that will give you more mileage than they will.

How new is the front? The build date is stamped on one side of the tire. Besides having tread is it worn evenly? My fronts tend to wear out and get bad way before the tread wears down. Feathering and especially getting squared off is really hard to ride relaxed and safely. If the bike feels like it falls over in a corner, then you need to catch it is a sign the front is square.

If the front is good, I'd just get a rear. But BEWARE of lightning strikes, locusts, and cats and dogs living in harmony, because I just agreed with TPEHAK

Last year I was in a similar situation as you. I'm personally more comfortable buying tires in a set so that the handling characteristics of the front and rear tires match. I started looking for a set priced $200-$250 then did some research on what was available in the market at that price point. The best bang for my buck was in the supersport tire category since I ride infrequently only when the weather is good and value grip over wet performance or longevity. Ended up with the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 and have been happy with them so far on my '03 xb9s.

I agree with the Bridgestone Battlax S21. I put a set on my '04 XB12S lightning in July 2016 and have almost 3,500 miles on them including 4 track days. Front looks great and the rear is about 40% tread left. Great mileage and they are plenty sticky enough even in the intermediate group at the track. Catch a set when they are offering a mail in rebate, you won't be disappointed.

well, I guess it was more worn than I thought. So i need a tire STAT. Sucks because I had a great ride today finally feeling comfortable with the bike and some of the roads around here that I know well enough to not be surprised by a mid-corner radius change, crap on the road, etc (I have been ranging farther afield trying to find fun twisty roads, not easy in central NC where a lot of the roads just go straightish, unlike where i grew up in SE PA where almost all roads have curves upon curves). Also, grateful nothing bad happened on some of the 90 mph sections. I had no idea the tire was this thin (i should have noticed the tread pattern on mine is NOT a typical contimotion, where grooves are much longer into the center section than what i've got. If i had, I wouldn't have ridden on it). Even clutched up my first baby wheelie tonight (it's taken since December for me to feel confident enough to try).

The new dilemma is whether to just take whatever 180/55 they've got at a local MC shop (so i can RIDE!!! must RIDE MOAR! NOW!) or wait and get a set of the Pilot 2CTs that revzilla has for cheap.

contimotion-corded.jpg

Revzilla's good, but RockymountainATV.com is my go-to for tires.

Life's too short to regret the wrong rear tire!

local shop (3 mi away) has a contimotion rear, so i'll do that for now, tomorrow.

hopefully the 'book time' for the tire swap is 'chain drive japanese bike' based and the shop charges very little to fiddle with the belt, which, like, joke's on them i think.

I ONLY run Q3+'s on the track but I must say I just put a pair of Conti sport attacks on one of my Firebolts and have literally been blown away. To me, hands down the best tire you can ever buy for the money, and on top of that it's a hypersport tire!

I heard those Shenko tires are the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast