Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12 S - 12v Power source for relay (front windshield)

XB12 S - 12v Power source for relay (front windshield)

Hi all,

I hope you're enjoying your Sunday

I need to install a relay on my XB12 S ('08) inside the front windshield, near the horn.
    My question is, is there a 12v power source / connector there ? (to connect to the 30 Pin terminal of the relay + fuse).

I've seen that the Ulysse has a connector for a 12v accessory plug, wondering if Buell built the same harness for the XB and the Ulysse (and I believe the 1125 has this kind of connector as well - see image below).

388583.jpg

If not, shall I add a wire from the battery ? What is the best route to avoid engine heat ?

Many thanks for your help !
    Van
    Last edited by vanxb12; 06-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.

You’ll want a direct power source to the relay and a switched power source to turn relay on and connect battery power to component. Just splice into your headlight for switched power.
    Look up/google search how to wire an accessory relay.
    Unless you want to get stranded somewhere DO NOT pull power directly from the battery to the component you’re trying to power.

And I think 08 and up xbs and xbr models have an accessory plug, I believe it was a factory deal for optional Buell heated grips. I do know for sure that my 07 firebolt had no such accessory plug and the 07 xbs wire harness I used to convert to a single headlight did not have an accessory plug.

I have heated grips, a voltmeter with built in USB charger, and a motogadget m-lock ignition that all use the relay method I mentioned earlier to power them.

Good luck
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 06-03-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    You’ll want a direct power source to the relay and a switched power source to turn relay on and connect battery power to component. Just splice into your headlight for switched power.
    Look up/google search how to wire an accessory relay.
    Unless you want to get stranded somewhere DO NOT pull power directly from the battery to the component you’re trying to power.

And I think 08 and up xbs and xbr models have an accessory plug, I believe it was a factory deal for optional Buell heated grips. I do know for sure that my 07 firebolt had no such accessory plug and the 07 xbs wire harness I used to convert to a single headlight did not have an accessory plug.

I have heated grips, a voltmeter with built in USB charger, and a motogadget m-lock ignition that all use the relay method I mentioned earlier to power them.

Good luck
    Hi Chicknstripn,

Thanks for your reply !
    Absolutely, as I mentioned I will use a relay, and I just need to find a 12V source ideally inside the windshield area, so I don't need to route a wire from the battery to power the relay.

Is there anyone who could confirm if '08 and up have an accessory plug ? I don't have access to my XB for the next 10 days, so cannot have a look

Thank you all,
    Van
    Last edited by vanxb12; 06-04-2018 at 10:41 AM.

My 08 Ully has a 12V plug in, right on the inside console.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    My 08 Ully has a 12V plug in, right on the inside console.
    Thank you for your reply !!
    I know the Ully has one, but wondering if the XB S from 2008 also have this 12v connector ?

You could pull the 4 bolts and see for yourself? I do have one in my '08STT but never looked at the '06 XB9SX
    If you do have an outlet there. No need for a fuse. That circuit is already protected at the fuse box and would be much easier to check and change there anyway. Just put in the proper size for whatever your powering with your relay.
    If you don't have a power outlet under there I would recommend to only use the battery (with a fuse there) as your power source for terminal #30. Follow the factory harness and use heatshielding where they do. Otherwise, whatever you are powering is adding an unknown amp draw to whatever circuit you use.

Sorry to disagree with Chicken, but if you add more draw to something like your headlight circuit, you run the risk of overloading it and that would be bad Adding a bigger fuse to the circuit would even be worse risking melting the stock wiring instead of the stock fuse protecting it.

Hi all,

I finally had access to my XB and I can now confirm there is an acc. plug from '08 !!

Can someone double confirm that the acc. plug is already fused from the fuse box (near the battery) and that I don't need an in-line fuse for my relay ?
    The accessory will drain max 2amp.

Thank you again for your help !!
    Van
    Last edited by vanxb12; 06-08-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Inactive
    Can someone double confirm that the acc. plug is already fused from the fuse box

yes

Obviously no one understands my first reply.
    Having a power source to switch or turn on a relay doesn’t mean it powers the component. It simply switches the relay on so that battery power, linked to the relay, goes to the component.
    Won’t over load the system. And you should always add a fuse, in-line with power source, anytime you add a component.
    So you don’t fry or “melt” anything.

And if your bike is an 08’ and has the plug..... just hook it up! Buell engineers wouldn’t add an accessory plug without protecting the rest of the system.

Banned
    If you put fuse in line make sure the fuse is as close to the positive battery terminal as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast