Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan fuses blowing

Fan fuses blowing

I got a CEL a few days ago. I blinked it when I got home. It was code 36, Fan Voltage. I checked the fuses and one 10A fuse was blown. I replaced it and the CEL didn't light up anymore, but soon came back on and the fuse was blown again. I realize just putting in new fuses won't do much good, but I tried another one and tried to help the fan get going, if the electric motor was having trouble turning the fan or similar. The fan didn't start. When I got home after that last night, the fan ran briefly as I turned off the bike, then the new fuse blew as well.

It seems the fan motor itself is not broken, since I heard the fan start last night. What do you think is wrong? Where should I start looking?

The bike is a 2008 XB12S.

Look at the fan , hook up direct 12v see how it works , and double check all wires routed to the fan could be grounding out to frame popping the fuse.. Is the fan covered in oil from the rear rocker ??
    Last edited by Silverrider; 06-11-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this......and reach into the grill and wiggle the fan blades to check for faulty shaft bearings. your fan is shot. drawing more amps than the fuse can handle. replace it.

Banned
    How many miles on the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Look at the fan , hook up direct 12v see how it works , and double check all wires routed to the fan could be grounding out to frame popping the fuse.. Is the fan covered in oil from the rear rocker ??
    I wouldn't say "covered", but the area is oily from the rear cylinder.
    What needs to be removed to be able to replace/thoroughly test the fan? Do I need to remove the rear shock absorber?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this......and reach into the grill and wiggle the fan blades to check for faulty shaft bearings. your fan is shot. drawing more amps than the fuse can handle. replace it.
    I did this. The fan turns smoothly, but not super easy. Should it feel similar to a PC fan, very easy to rotate?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KoomZog View Post
    I wouldn't say "covered", but the area is oily from the rear cylinder.
    What needs to be removed to be able to replace/thoroughly test the fan? Do I need to remove the rear shock absorber?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    as john stated aka lunatic [ new fan needed] draw will keep blowing fuse.
    Last edited by rchuff; 06-12-2018 at 03:25 PM.

I would think you need a new fan for the same reasons Lunatic and rchuff do.

Do you have ECMDroid or ECMSpy? You can test the whole fan circuit easily and check the draw at the same time to be 100% sure before you spend money on a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would think you need a new fan for the same reasons Lunatic and rchuff do.

Do you have ECMDroid or ECMSpy? You can test the whole fan circuit easily and check the draw at the same time to be 100% sure before you spend money on a part.
    Ok. I'll probably order a new fan from twinmotorcycles then. Or could it be enough to disassemble it and remove some oil residue?
    I don't have ECMdroid yet, I'm planning on getting it later, but I need a compatible phone/tablet as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast