Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud clunk sound after coming down from a wheelie

Loud clunk sound after coming down from a wheelie

I have a loud clunk in my front end coming down off a wheelie or entering a driveway entrance at a quick speed. I’ve retorqued my head bearing already and still have the same result. I’ve heard it can be the horn knocking off the front wing screen(if you want to call it that) any ideas??

Inactive
    loose/cracked horn bracket
    loose/worn/broken front engine mount
    destroyed/flat spotted steering head bearings. replace with tapered rollers and new races
    the test for faulty steering head bearings is: find a flat smooth parking lot.....accelerate in 1st gear to 20mph....shift into neutral....coast a moment....then moderately apply front brake ONLY. clunk????? faulty bearings.
    NOTE: plan on stocking up on fork seals if you continue this practice and familiarize yourself with replacement procedure. these showa cartridge forks do not take kindly to repeated wheelies.

Front engine mount is in good shape, no leaks in fork the seals, checked head bearing and has super smooth operation. Horn bracket is intact but is flimsy. I’ll try the test you’re talking about and follow up. Copy that on the fork seals and replacement procedure. I appreciate the feed back.

Inactive
    my pleasure. i've serviced probably 15 XB's thru the years that were subjected to wheelies/stoppies and developed the dreaded XB front end clunk. all were tightened to specs....all felt smooth when turning bars with front wheel off the ground....all had faulty bearings. you can check the front caliper for tightness....front rotor bushings for service wear limits....front caliper pad pins for heavy wear....but 99% of the time it's faulty SH bearings. i would say 100% of the time but absolute certainty on here freaks most people out and starts epic keyboard battles and trolling.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-12-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Tried the brake test, no shimmies shakes or noise.

Maybe I’ll just order new head bearings and change them and try that. I’ve experienced some slight speed wobble at 75-100mph under hard acceleration also, so I’m thinking you are right. There are no flat spots when checking the steering, and I just replaced the tires last week also. I imagine the bearings are probably just worn out. Thanks again much appreciated!!

You could have jarred loose the cartridge inside the forks.

Banned
    The sound you notice is the front wheel hits the ground. Try to land the front wheel slowly.

Lol ya probably not the front wheel hitting the ground, it also happens while hitting a small bumps at speed. Ive never known rubber to make that sound...

Cooter, I’ve never had a set of cartridge forks apart. Is it a big job to reattach the cartridge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast