Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richer fuel map for a standard XB

Richer fuel map for a standard XB

I’m looking for a richer fuel map for my bog standard ’07 Uly, as if the factory tuned it for best running without regard to emissions.
    With the standard map it misfires occasionally at small throttle openings, like when I'm idling along in slow traffic. It also gives a sense of not running properly everywhere else, a sort of edginess to the throttle response, which I believe is because the factory programmed it lean to meet emission standards.
    The misfire and that 'lean running' feeling disappears when I lock the upper and lower AFV limits at 108%. Now it has a liquid surge of power from 2500 - 4000 rpm and throttle response that's great, although the engine braking is worse.
    However, I understand locking the AFV like that gives 8% more fuel everywhere, even where it’s not needed (like engine braking) and maybe not enough in other places. I also loose altitude compensation and closed loop running fuel efficiency.
    What I'm looking for is a map where the bike runs as well as the ~8% enrichment at normal road speed (50-70mph) while retaining the altitude compensation and closed loop running and decent engine braking.
    I thought I’d found the answer with the IDS ‘Performance ECM for the Stock Bike’. However, Tim at IDS says it’s essentially the same map as the 07 XB and that I wouldn’t notice any difference with it, and that I should continue to run with the AFV locked rich.
    Does anyone have an optimized map for a stock bike I can load with EcmDroid? If not where should I go from here?
    Thx - jv

You can run the stock map richer (must leave it in open loop) and adjust for altitude by adding a Barometer (baro sensor). The stock ECM has the capability.

I have had good luck as much as 115AFV on a bone stock bike.
    https://www.buelltooth.com/baroxb.html

Thanks Cooter, but its not quite what I was after. Buelltooth say it's Baro kit only works on 03-07's if you are not running the Active Muffler Control and have an aftermarket muffler & ECM tune: I have a stock exhaust and want to run the AMC.
    I'm hoping that someone out there has optimised the fueling on a standard bike. I can't be the only one who wants this??
    It seems ECMSpy can do it- if you know what you're doing. I'm new to this and don't feel up to that yet.
    Rgds - jv

For a stock bike, no AFV changes are needed. Buells do not run lean on a stock map, because CL and OLL will help to avoid this.

Cooter, I thought the Buelltooth baro sensor won't work on 07 and earlier Buell ? Did you have to do anything special ?

My mistake, it won't work if the exhaust valve is still active, like on my bike with the spec ops muffler.
    Last edited by njloco; 06-13-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Gunter, I believe something has been lost in translation.
    By '...running lean...' I did not mean the the standard fuel map in the Buell was making it run at an AFR >14.7, but that is was running leaner than would give most enjoyable riding, which most people say is about 13.6:1.
    My bike ran with the AFV at 102.3% when the standard upper and lower AFV limits were operating. I gather this means the bike is performing as Buell factory intended.
    When I disabled the closed loop running by applying an upper an upper and lower AFV limit of 108% the bike was vastly more enjoyable to ride.
    I'm looking for a fuel map that will give this sense of enjoyment when riding in open loop mode but still run in closed loop when cruising, give barometric compensation and run the std AMC
    Danke - jv

Quote Originally Posted by John Vreede View Post
    When I disabled the closed loop running by applying an upper an upper and lower AFV limit of 108% the bike was vastly more enjoyable to ride.
    Limiting AFV has nothing to do with closed loop operations.
    With a default WOT correction of 110 Buells run at about AFR 13.3:1 at WOT.

Hey Gunter: Sorry for the side track, but just confirming the AFV is a ECM "global map adjustment", but for OL only?

Where EGO (WEGO) is for CL only?

Quote Originally Posted by John Vreede View Post
    With the standard map it misfires occasionally at small throttle openings, like when I'm idling along in slow traffic. It also gives a sense of not running properly everywhere else, a sort of edginess to the throttle response, which I believe is because the factory programmed it lean to meet emission standards.
    A stock bike with a stock map should not run like this. Best to try and sort out what the cause may be before tuning it, or else you may end up more frustrated chasing a moving target.

I guess you may be lucky Ready. to have a bike that doesn't do this.
    The evidence from lots of other owners on this site is that they do have 'lean stumbles' or 'lean misfires', even in stock tune, and there is a whole industry built up around providing stock bikes with a way to get their fuel injection system to run richer (https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html, http://nightrider.com/).
    Jens Lyck, of Boosterplug above,has written a booklet on motorcycle fuel injection that's an interesting read,explaining the various ways to do it. https://boosterplug.com/images/shopd...ion%20Book.pdf
    I'm pretty sure that my bike is running as Buell intended, the AFV of 102% shows the ECM is not getting any signals to make it much richer or leaner than the std fuel map.
    But it's a fact if I force it to be richer everywhere in OL by setting the AFV limits to 108%, the bike is waaay nicer to ride. That's why I'm after an optimized map.
    I've still got to come to grips with what Gunter is saying re locking the AFV not affecting CL though...
    Rgds - jv

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast