Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing headers - factory coated?

Polishing headers - factory coated?

Hey all! First off want to say that this community is awesome! Responses to questions are really quick and very insightful, glad I picked a Buell for my project Also, my bad if this topic has already been covered (I did make sure to google around a bit before posting)

So, I read somewhere (honestly can't recall where) that after a certain year, Buell went to factory ceramic coated headers. I have an 08 xb12s, and my headers have some spotting and tarnishing going on. I really would like to polish them up a bit, but I am not sure about if mine are coated or not. Honestly, they look like they may be, but I would like to be certain. I was going to try to polish a bit on the back where its not visible just to test it out, but I figured I'd ask here first! Is there a certain model year that kicked off coated headers on the Buells? If so, is there a way to clean up/restore coated headers? Any and all insight is appreciated, thanks!!

They're not coated. Factory headers are 300 grade stainless, should be 304.

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Dean - Weren't some of the "blue" headers on the X1 coated? Granted they wont fit an XB anyways....

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Perfect! Thank you for the clarification!! Will get going on polishing them up

IMG_20180414_100127-EFFECTS.jpg

They can come out pretty good if you take your time.

So the next time you polish them are you going to take your time Neil!?!?!? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    IMG_20180414_100127-EFFECTS.jpg

They can come out pretty good if you take your time.
    Your bike looks good! I need to polish mine, the person before me had header wrap on it and took it off, what did you use to polish it?

Quote Originally Posted by oh9bolt View Post
    So the next time you polish them are you going to take your time Neil!?!?!? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by JeffY View Post
    Your bike looks good! I need to polish mine, the person before me had header wrap on it and took it off, what did you use to polish it?
    I removed them from the bike. Wet sanded from 220 to 1500(I think). Then polished them on a bench buffer with green and grey polish sticks. Then finished them by hand with Mother's Mag Polish.

You can do it with them still mounted on the bike using buffing wheels on a drill, and a Dremel for the tight spots.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post

I removed them from the bike. Wet sanded from 220 to 1500(I think). Then polished them on a bench buffer with green and grey polish sticks. Then finished them by hand with Mother's Mag Polish.

You can do it with them still mounted on the bike using buffing wheels on a drill, and a Dremel for the tight spots.
    Thanks!

You make nice job Neil!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast