Thread: Thermo Fan Buell XB12SS Long

Thermo Fan Buell XB12SS Long

Ok sorry if this has been posted before.

I have my Xb12ss Long . Had the original Exhaust . When i rode it in a climate in winter which was around 2 or 3 degrees in the morning , The thermo Fan after about 10 minutes would kick in providing me with the needed heat to not make me freeze.

Now. I changed the exhaust to a Jardine & Have since move to a very High humidity hot

place. The Thermo Fan fuse has blown twice. and doesn't kick in regularly like before. i thought this weird because its hotter where i am now so it should be on all the time.. only normally when i stop the bike it kicks in ,,,

Anyone have any ideas about this..

Inactive
    The Thermo Fan fuse has blown twice. and doesn't kick in regularly like before.
    that's because either the fan is shot or the positive feed wire in its wiring harness has shorted to ground which is EXTREMELY rare.
    oil film covering it?????
    blades feel loose and wiggle when you attempt to spin it with your finger???
    emit a growling/groaning noise upon start-up?????
    all signs of a terminal fan which will draw more amps than the stock fuse is capable of handling.
    clearly you haven't read any of this weeks' postings on here. see below link.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-fuses-blowing

thanks Lunaticfringe for the link

Inactive
    my pleasure. the simple test with a FULLY charged battery is to simply unplug the fan and test it with a simple 12 volt power source and a set of simple jumper wires. i can tell you that if it's coated with oil or delays in starting to spin up or makes a growling/groaning noise it's faulty. they are NOT serviceable/repairable. the link has my suggestions and part numbers for either OEM or SPAL aftermarket part. the stock fan fuse is 10 amps. a fan headed to death-row draws more than 10 amps....hence the continual popping fuse.

Yep your right .. I took it for ride yesterday , The Bike Ran perfectly on the trip there . fan working etc . on my return the Fan was not running then i got an engine light. sure enough the fan was running at a very low speed with a wind.. not much protecting that fan sucking in all the dirty and oil from the engine , Anyway have ordered a new Fan hope fully be here in a couple of days. All i have to do now is to fix the Bike from running to rich.
    I need a Buelltooth Device for that ??

If the fan has oil on it, you probably have a rear rocker box gasket leak. If you don't fix the oil leak, your new fan will soon be toast as well.

Thanks for the advice on the rocker will get it checked next time im in he shop. had a leaky brake switch that was making a bit of a mess so maybe it was that .

I ended up buying two fans and a belt as i live in the Philippines now, so parts are non existence, but got the fans express in 4 days which was great. FYI for the replacement of the thermofan on XB12ss long 07 The fan was pretty Straight forward to replace only one screw hard to get at. Left side of the bike taken off(seat Frame) disconnect the rear strut and it slid out effortlessly.