Thread: Engine advise

Engine advise

Hi!
    My first post on this forum. My name is Robert and i live in Sweden!
    Im going to buy a Buell XB12Ss, and was wondering about the different engines.

I believe there was a big engine upgrade on the 2008 models? How much better are they compared to an 2007 engine?
    As for now I have 2 options, a 2007 Buell that looks awesome and have all the right parts already included. Pretty low mileage aswell. Or a 2008 stock XB12Ss with no extras and higher mileage.

Anything special to look out for with the 2007 model? Any engine upgrades that should be done etc?
    I hope you can help me with these questions. The Buell community isnīt that great in Sweden.

Thank you in advance!

/Robert

Inactive
    robert: here's a quick summation with some opinions and observations that should help. your question pointed towards engines so i'm addressing only that for you.
    all XB motors loosely based on H-D sportster motors mostly in their design and architecture. they share few parts.
    the 9 model is 984cc
    the 12 model is 1203cc
    the difference in displacement is achieved thru a longer stroke....NOTHING else.
    2003-2007 motors all the same.
    2008-2010 motors all the same but different than prior years. they can be identified by the cam covers. 03-07 has a large circular pattern on the cover that houses the timing trigger/crank position sensor. 08-10 has large OVAL shaped cam cover which houses the oil pump and drive system for same.
    2008 and up XB's have updated EFI fueling systems
    """"""""""""""""""" have larger style 1.5 inch crank pin. the pin is what the con rod big ends attach to and spin the crank. it's a robust design which transferred over to the forthcoming H-D XR1200 which has the greatest sportster style motor ever built.
    """""""""""""""""" have updated oiling systems which flow a bit better and less susceptible to oil pump drive gear failure
    """""""""""""""""""" have updated charging system. charging output in amps still approximately the same but alternator now single phase instead of 3-phase.....and regulator wiring plug changed to a much better location behind left front air scoop.
    observations: i have seen many 03-07 XB's approaching 80,000 miles that were ridden with respect, serviced carefully and regularly, the engine "warm-up" procedure was adhered to religiously....and they are still running strong and reliably.
    i have also seen many that were beaten to death and highly abused on a regular basis and were used up and junk @ the 5000 mile mark. in the world of buells provenance, amount of owners, style of riding and maintenance mean everything. is the 2008 and later motor better designed than previous itinerations? absolutely yes. is it a better all-around motor. i would say so but prior year motors were all outstanding.
    NOTE: the death-knell for all XB motors is consistent trips to red-line at every shift and heat. when you're shopping if you observe "blued" headers tracking down to the collector....oil leaks from the rocker box cover/lid.....and a non-functioning cooling fan.....USE CAUTION. THOSE 3 THINGS are the tell-tale signs it has been subjected to a hell of alot of heat....and often.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-11-2018 at 10:43 AM.

All DDFI2 (2003-2007) and 2008-2009 DDFI3 have a single rear O2 sensor. 2010 DDFI3 has dual front and rear O2 sensors and independent cylinder AFV adjustments.

Only problem is, not likely to find a 2010 model in Sweden and his choices are an 07 or 08.

Just as i suspected, Iīm better off with an 2008 XB.

How hard is it to get parts for the engines?

It's not.