Thread: Service Record

Service Record

Strange stuff I have learned about my 2008 Buell XB1200XT.- If you fuel up a really hot bike, on a hot day, and then take a break with gas cap on, fuel can boil and piss out overflow which is near swingarm oil drain bolt- In super torrential rain, it can get into air filter and drown out engine through the grate above gas fill port. Can use hand to block grate while riding.- When I get home, need to leave bike in driveway until it cools down before bringing into garage, or super strong gasoline smell in garage.- heat from engine on right thigh is almost not noticeable with leather chaps on

September 2022 36,872km- purchased with 36,872km- problems - Front brake pulse, needs new front brake rotor and pads. Rear shock in dire need of rebuild. Started throwing Check Engine Light codes day after I bought it (bad battery caused by bad regulator).

September 19, 2022 38,442km- New Yuasa AGM battery from Hully Gully installed- New front brake rotor hardware from Aagaard Motor Foundry installed- New front perimeter brake rotor from EBC MD735RS installed- New front brake pads EBC FA345HH installed

October 06, 2022 39,337km- symptom - with handlebars anywhere except in full left turn, highbeam indicator would come on and both high and low beam do not work- resolder 3 grounds together

October 21, 2022 39,969km 40k SERVICE- no current codes, one stored code - 16 low battery voltage - cleared- 20W50 HD oil, filter, o-ring changed- formula+ oil, o-ring, clutch & inspection gaskets changed- clutch adjusted- primary chain checked- 10R12X spark plugs (x2) changed- K&N air filter cleaned & oiled

February 10, 2023 39,969km- Rear shock rebuilt and new spring by Lang's Offroad in Dorchester- Front fork oil change - Screaming Eagle Heavy fork oil - spring length minimum 380.7mm, both left & right measured 390mm

May 06, 2023 43,625km-installed and balanced Micheline Road6 tires front and back

May 19, 2023 44,840km- brake fluid flush front & back

June 04, 2023 47,276km- voltage regulator 40AMP 14.2V from Twin Motorcycles installed- clear high and low voltage cel codes

June 10, 2023 47812km 48K SERVICE- no current codes, no stored code- oil filter adapter was loose, torqued to 140inlbs- 20W50 HD oil, filter, o-ring changed- formula+ oil, o-ring, clutch & inspection gaskets changed- clutch adjusted- primary chain checked- 10R12X spark plugs (x2) changed- K&N air filter cleaned & oiled

July 11, 2023- o-ring in remote oil reservoir blew and oil leaked all over- Took rear shock back to Lang's for new o-ring and shock oil

July 20, 2023 52,690km- broken clutch cable replaced with new from Twin M/C

August 17, 2023 56,099km 56K SERVICE- Installed patched rear tire from XR1200 with about 1000km on it, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT- no current codes, no stored code- 20W50 Motul Twin synthetic, K&N filter, o-ring changed- formula+ oil, o-ring, clutch & inspection gaskets changed- clutch adjusted- primary chain checked- 10R12X spark plugs (x2) changed- K&N air filter cleaned & oiledNote - Engine heat on right thigh significantly reduced with this engine oil

August 26, 2023- installed new rear brake rotor EBC MD522 & EBC FA140HH pads

September 23, 2023 - Installed a pair of H7 LED lights in low and high beam. These lights are designed with led at exact same measurement the regular halogen light element sits so the light reflector projects it properly. Ordered SEALIGHT H7 LED Headlight Bulbs, All-in-One Mini Size H7 Led Bulbs with Fan, 16000 Lumens 450% Super Brightness 6500K Cool White, No Adapter Required, Plug and Play, Halogen Replacement, Pack of 2 from Amazon.

October 16, 2023 62,867km- new starter clutch installed into original starter motor, reinstalled with paper gasket- clutch & primary chain both adjusted- primary cover gasket, clutch & chain inspection gaskets and shifter shaft seal all reused, no leaks- fresh primary oil, Formula+

October 26, 2023 63,706km 64K SERVICE- no current codes, no stored code- 20W50 Motul Twin synthetic, K&N filter, o-ring changed- formula+ oil, o-ring, clutch & inspection gaskets changed Oct 16- clutch adjusted Oct 16- primary chain checked Oct 16- 10R12X spark plugs (x2) changed- K&N air filter cleaned & oiled

November 17, 2023 64,301km- Rear tire blew out in Orangeville on way to Oshawa. Had CAA tow bike 185km home. Ordered a new pair of Michelin Road 6 from Pete's Superbike for spring. Reinstalled the worn out Michelin Road 6 with about 1mm before wear bars. Not bad, 8000km on he plugged Road 4GT, plug still holding, new hole too big to plug. Side note. A different Road 4GT that was completely flat, I road over 1000km on HD XR1200 and it was like riding a cow but sidewalls held up and bike was ridable. Buell Ulysses with flat 4GT rides on collapsed sidewall making it nearly impossible to turn even though tire not off the bead.

December 07, 2023 64,643km- Bike down for charging issue. Decided to do a mod from forums so I had single low beam on when low beam selected, low and high beam on when high beam selected. At the connector black is a ground, the yellow is low beam, white is high beam, and orange is for the running light. On the wire harness side of connector swapped position of yellow and orange wires. This does change low beam light to be on the acc fuse.

December 11, 2023 64,643km- Time to deal with charging issue. Short 3 stop ride had dead battery on 4th engine start. Found electrical connector between stator and voltage regulator had melted on the stator side and copper wire was discolored silver even where wire insulation had not melted. Single phase 30A stator passed all static and dynamic tests from the shop manual. Cut melted connector out and stator wires back to near primary cover. Installed new 12awg wire with waterproof soldered butt connectors. Back to 14.4V at battery at idle. Ziptied stator wire to horizontal bar above primary so it is in the wind instead of under left side air intake for cylinder head where it normally is with regulator to battery wire.

February 03, 2024 65,508km- Replaced my one year old Korean made Yuasa battery with a made in Pennsylvania Motomaster Eliminator ETX14. Nice, bike starts without the big pause now. New EBC rear rotor and pads. New rear Michelin Road 6, Dillvalve air valve stem, 1.5oz to balance (three quarter-ounce pieces per side, under black Duck tape).
    PXL_20240129_171608804.jpgCan tire battery.jpgPXL_20240202_170558009.jpgPXL_20240202_173017770.jpg

March 09,2024 66,409km- Removed oem muffler and sent it out for ceramic coating. Removed kickstand, straightened ears and reinstalled. Took Jardine muffler apart, repacked with fibreglass and installed on bike until I get oem muffler back.PXL_20240307_224653413.jpg
    Last edited by Lakota; 03-09-2024 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more service

I have put many, many, miles on my XB's and I'm curious, why another new rotor at only 20Km? Thats just 11K Americans, and they should last MUCH longer than that. BTW they are notorious for NOT being warped, but depositing brake pad material unevenly and feeling exactly like it is.... A good cleaning and re-bed typically solves that pulsing, and much cheaper too

The intake grate by the gas cap shouldn't have any direct path to the airfilter unless the actual upper airbox piece is missing? Yes the later ones have holes in them but you should darn near be able to put a hose in there and not kill the motor at highway speeds. I don't recommend it though! Haha. A re-useable filter (like KN) will work better when wet than a paper OE one as well.

The full line of the gas tank is the LOWER lip where the cap seals, the well has a drain and will just dump out, try to not top off above that or just fill up on the kick stand (not upright). Should solve your over-filling issue.

Happy to hear you're riding it and getting some miles

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have put many, many, miles on my XB's and I'm curious, why another new rotor at only 20Km? Thats just 11K Americans, and they should last MUCH longer than that. BTW they are notorious for NOT being warped, but depositing brake pad material unevenly and feeling exactly like it is.... A good cleaning and re-bed typically solves that pulsing, and much cheaper too

The intake grate by the gas cap shouldn't have any direct path to the airfilter unless the actual upper airbox piece is missing? Yes the later ones have holes in them but you should darn near be able to put a hose in there and not kill the motor at highway speeds. I don't recommend it though! Haha. A re-useable filter (like KN) will work better when wet than a paper OE one as well.

The full line of the gas tank is the LOWER lip where the cap seals, the well has a drain and will just dump out, try to not top off above that or just fill up on the kick stand (not upright). Should solve your over-filling issue.

Happy to hear you're riding it and getting some miles
    -Not sure what I wrote that made you think I have installed 2 new front rotors. I have only installed one new EBC front rotor. I did clean original one before buying a new one, definitely warped.

-have 2 K&N filters for this bike that rotate into duty. When I said torrential rain, wasn't kidding, all cars pulled off road because they could not see, it was worse than a garden hose. I was a week away but an hour from home and feeling like superman.

-not an overfilling problem. I had less than 1/2 tank last night and pulled into garage to empty saddlebag of LCBO run. Gas smell so bad had to put it out of garage for an hour, push it back in, nothing.

-Yes getting miles, almost hit 25,000km this summer. For a Canadian, that has not yet retired, respectable miles. Yes, enjoying this bike more than I thought possible.

Glad to hear you're still riding, ain't it cold up thar!? You must have an electrically heated toque

Quote Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
    -have 2 K&N filters for this bike that rotate into duty.
    That is a LOT of rain, but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The intake grate by the gas cap shouldn't have any direct path to the airfilter unless the actual upper airbox piece is missing
    I did clean original one before buying a new one, definitely warped.
    Good you checked! Most people don't bother and I hate the thought of good Buell rotors going in the dump for a simple fix.
    -not an overfilling problem. I had less than 1/2 tank last night and pulled into garage to empty saddlebag of LCBO run. Gas smell so bad had to put it out of garage for an hour, push it back in, nothing.
    If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't have an actual hot gas-under-pressure leak... the only other tank vents are the gas cap(2-4psi valve IIRC) and the big valve with the hose thats next to it under the airbox cover. To test it: Pop it out of it's o-ring seat, and blow through the bottom of it. It is open when upright/level and closed at an angle/side stand.
    . Yes, enjoying this bike more than I thought possible.
    I have no excuse, it's been a frigid 55*F at night and clear sunny skies all day. But mine sits. On a tender. Judging me.

Bike had charging problem when I bought it last fall. New Yuasa battery 15 months ago, and a new regulator from Twin Motorcycles this past June, all was working well until this past Sunday. So, from this past June until now, 6 months and 17,367km's with no problem. Voltage while running all that time was 14.something until last Sunday it shows 12.something until my third stop and battery cannot even start bike until recharged. Took a look into things today since tomorrow looks like last day for a long ride. What would cause the stator wires to burn up like that?

PXL_20231207_192520350.jpg

PXL_20231207_192512620.jpg

Attachment 17242

PXL_20231207_182952788.MP.jpg

It's a self-escalating problem. A tiny bit of resistance in that plug, be it from being loose, corrosion, etc, generates heat. That heat softens the connector allowing things to get looser, and accelerates any growing corrosion. That increases the heat, which.... repeat until it properly runs away melting connectors and charring wires.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep!

Notice the melting is at the connector-side of the system...not the stator wiring and coils. Cycling resistance at close to 100Hz generates incredible heat resulting in your dilemma.

Had no idea how common an issue the stator side of electrical connector melting is, on a variety of bikes, until researching this issue. So far, it seems our OEM Ulysses stator is 3 phase 38A 2007 model year and earlier, and mine being single phase and 30A 2008 and newer, the connectors that came with my new regulator are rated for 25A. Appears like there are some riding days left in next 2 weeks. Will try cleaning up wiring, and hard wire the stator and see if that is workable for the moment. Also noting that Sunday that this all happened was a very short 3 hop trip day. The day before was an all day ride with at least a couple hours of using the heated grips.

Static & dynamic tests on stator good. Cut wire back close to primary cover, used new wire with soldered butt connectors. 14.4V at battery again. Will see if time heals the broken trust between me and bike.

Last edited by Lakota; 12-11-2023 at 07:52 PM.