Thread: Brake Rotors - EBR vs Wave?

Brake Rotors - EBR vs Wave?

Hi all! So the xb12s I picked up and have been working on has some brake issues that seem pretty common. First off, the front pulses pretty hard under braking. Second, the caliper seems to stick and drag even after I've released lever pressure. I am looking at doing some brake work and wanted some opinions on rotors.

First option I'm looking at is the EBR 5mm finned rotor ($190 shipped + $70 hardware = $260). The second option is the Wave rotor ($323 with hardware). Are there any pros/cons for either or? I found some info here and there on this forum and also on BWB forum, but all threads seem to be pretty old so I figure I'd ask. Also, not sure how thick the wave rotor is. I see that the 6mm rotor is no longer sold anywhere and figured the EBR would be the best over the wave rotor (never been a huge fan of drilled rotors) but for some reason the waved costs $100 more.

As far as the sticking goes, I will give it a look over when I am replacing the pads, and maybe will do a rebuild (although 18k on the bike seems pretty low to have to rebuild the calipers).

Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by rtrofimovich; 06-21-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo

These are very nice rotor options that look great together on a FireBolt IMO. Plus I tortured both in the bed-in process with sintered pads. They've performed excellent to date but I only have a few hundred miles since swapping out the OEM set TBH. Good luck and please report your experiences with any other rotor options you might choose.

before and after bed-in procedure pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 06-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Inactive
    if you want to go with an EBC front rotor i stock them and sell to board members @ 10% over dealer cost. lever pulsing with this ZTL front brake system common problem and annoying as hell. i hate it! perhaps try the stock hardware which should be quite serviceable....new EBC rotor....new EBC HH pads...and install fresh dot-4 fluid and flush and bleed. that typically cures these front brake ailments along with a good cleaning of the caliper external piston area around the dust seals.

Quote Originally Posted by midway View Post
    These are very nice rotor options that look great together on a FireBolt IMO. Plus I tortured both in the bed-in process with sintered pads. They've performed excellent to date but I only have a few hundred miles since swapping out the OEM set TBH. Good luck and please report your experiences with any other rotor options you might choose.
    Yeah I really like the EBR rotor aesthetics, plus I hear great things about them. Am definitely leaning towards this one

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    if you want to go with an EBC front rotor i stock them and sell to board members @ 10% over dealer cost. lever pulsing with this ZTL front brake system common problem and annoying as hell. i hate it! perhaps try the stock hardware which should be quite serviceable....new EBC rotor....new EBC HH pads...and install fresh dot-4 fluid and flush and bleed. that typically cures these front brake ailments along with a good cleaning of the caliper external piston area around the dust seals.
    I looked at the EBC rotor a bit as well. I already ordered EBC pads but am interested in the pricing you have available. Will send a PM.

I bought an EBC front rotor from John and already had a set of pads and man what a difference on the bike when I use the front brakes. Really nice quality from EBC and couldn't be happier. Plus the price was great for the quality.

Last edited by rchuff; 06-21-2018 at 05:35 PM.