Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Lag During Aggressive Acceleration...

Wanted to get some feed back from other XB12 Owners...

I have an '08 XB12XT with just over 10k on the clock. The bike is set-up 'stock' (i.e., no exhaust, intake, or ecm mods).

I purchased the bike used and have put approx. 1000 miles on it. During this time I've noticed that under heavy acceleration I experience a momentary lag in throttle response. That's to say that my throttle input initially feels directly linked to acceleration (very linear) until I hit a half-open (approx.) throttle position... At this point the engine momentarily stops its linear acceleration (for a fraction of a second, just long enough to notice) even as I continue to roll-on gas... Then (almost as if a switch has been turned on) the engine continues to accelerate to redline and/or gear change. This is most noticeable when rolling-on throttle aggressively: accelerating from a stop, jumping from low rpm (idle) to high rpm, etc.

I'm wondering if I'm 'feeling' the interactive exhaust valve opening (and thus re-routing exhaust flow) as my engine hits some critical rpm, exhaust pressure, etc.

Any thoughts out there in Buell land? Anyone experience similar acceleration characteristics with their late-model Xb12's? I appreciate any feedback... Thanks guys!

Mine used to have a hesitation, sometimes hiccupped, when twisting to full throttle - but only occasionally. I did 2 things that made a Noticeably big difference, so I'm not sure which made the bigger impact.

I switched plugs to NGK Iridiums (DCPR9EIX) from some basically Brand new HD OEM plugs.

And I did the Breather Re-route w/ Pics.

Maybe one or both of those will help. Also, I guess you're already you're running high octane gas.

- breather re/route
    - tps reset
    in that order...

this should help reduce the lag. if you want more, you should get your ecm tuned.

OK...

The breather re-route is at the top of my 'to-do' list. I'm running brand new (OEM) plugs, might try the NGK Iridiums. And yes, running 91 octane.

Back to the re-route... I didn't think it would have any substantial effect(s) at higher rpm... I thought it was primarily targeting off-idle/slow-speed 'choppy' engine characteristics associated with re-cycling spent exhaust gases..Yes/No?

I eventually want to tune the ecm. I would like to wait until after I fit my bike with an aftermarket exhaust..

My Uly is still under warranty, so I may take her to the dealership, see what they have to say.

Thanks for the feedback guys! This is a great forum for Buell owners!

hold on...

are you still running the bike in? cause then it will get better.

a tps reset isn't an ecm tune, it's just a re-calibration.

No, the bike is an '08 model with with just over 10k miles on the clock. (I'm the second owner, I purchased it with just over 8.5k). I still have warranty coverage thru the spring of next year...

And, yes, I realize that TPS Reset and ECM Tune are not the same thing... I don't want to mess with ecm mapping (if at all possible) until I mount an aftermarket exhaust.

Back to your re-route suggestion... you think this could help engine performance at higher rpm?

Thanks LeFox.

yea, it helps with a smoother burn along the complete rpm range.

you just feel it more in lower rpm, like every fibration.

Thank you to all that helped with the breather re-route info.
    As is said, it's the easiest and cheapest mod. to make. Makes technical sense too.
    Did it to my 08 Uly . Routed the line down the front with breather about 1 foot above a pet-cock valve.
    26K miles in 13 months. Best ride ever.

rodie81 are you talking about if you are riding along at low rpm's then go wide open throttle is it then that you experience the lag?

Wow how do you guys find these old threads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast