Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too hot to ride !

Too hot to ride !

I rode the SS into work on Friday, 37 miles of the worst traffic this side of hell. It's mostly smooth going until one starts to go towards one of the river crossings into the city, then it's strictly riding the white line ( yes, lane splitting ), most cagers understand that it's really hot wearing the helmet but then there are those that have to be taught. The cops look the other way or just ignore you after all they don't want you to get heat stroke because they'll have an even bigger traffic mess on their hands.

My bike was so hot that I couldn't put my bare hands on any metal surface, not even on the back, I had to push the bike back using the seat, not to mention riding through the cut standing up so my pants wouldn't burn up.

I bought these motorcycle jeans that I like a lot, they're made of a stretchy material and the air seems to go right through them but, it's just too hot to even wear them.

So what do you guys and gals wear when It's this brutal outside and you want to wear protection, just in case ?

Paging AZMidget... lol.

I ride in any weather, and I'd rather be too wet than too hot
    Florida taught me a lot and humidity SUCKS.
    Good long length cotton boxer briefs under riding jeans help protect from the "Buell thigh".
    Full-face helmets will smaller cheek pads (Like Suomy and Nexx) is my go to for hot days. The Shoei and AGV are tight on the face and don't vent as well.
    A light colored adventure jacket is better than a leather (even perforated) jacket, and good perf shorty A-stars gloves and short A-stars perf boots with cotton running socks.

For really short trips like yours, you should be OK but I'll say it anyway. HYDRATE! It doesn't take very long to over-heat at surprisingly cool temps. A camelback with ice in it under your jacket will cool your back and melt fast enough for a cold drink. A wet bandanna around your neck or as a "do-rag' under your helmet can be re-wetted with that water too.

I looked for an article I linked before and can't find it but this is close.
    It touches on keeping your skin covered (no wife-beater NJ!) and temps above a benign 93*F change everything.
    https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-...n-hot-weather/

If I ride in this heat and i usually dont, I wear jeans, boots, full face lid (ALWAYS) and my alpinestars textile jacket with full armor,and leather gloves with armor. Still hot as fu@k but.......I would rather go down in that than go down in a t-shirt and no gloves. I'm not interested in the wire brush to the skin to get the rocks out at the E.R.!

I ride with gear on to even in hot weather like Wally , textile jacket, gloves , boots and full dome piece. Makes me feel safer than not wearing it. When it's hot like today leave early morning and back by noon.
    Last edited by rchuff; 07-02-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Yes ^^^ the smart way ^^^ leave early morning and back by noon.

Same here in Vegas, it’s hot and I wear all my gear all the time. When riding to a specific location I put a wet vest on that is stored in the freezer but it’s dry in twenty minutes and is just another layer after that.

All good info, Cooter, I read that article also, after about 93-94°F all bets are off. I like the Camelback idea, I'll have to pick one up.
    I'm lucky in one way, I don't sweat very much, I do hydrate a lot especially since I am mostly Vegan. I guess I could also try wetting down the biker jeans a little. I do the bandanna thing already but, I do wear a Shoei helmet, I'll have to try the HJC helmet or buy another helmet.
    Can't leave early since I work afternoons.
    With the camel back idea, do you remove the armor pad and put the Camelback in place of it ?
    Also, do any of you wear the special mesh pants with the armor ?

These are the jeans, https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...eans?rrec=true
    So far, I like them.
    Last edited by njloco; 07-02-2018 at 11:46 PM.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...aterproof-vest
    That’s is what I use, it’s always on sale in stores and works well for a single destination. I soak mine and then put it in a bag in the freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast