Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some hardware help (neutral sensor removal)

Looking for some hardware help (neutral sensor removal)

All,

I can't seem to get the neutral sensor out of the engine case (from behind the pulley). The needle-nose plier thing just isn't working (been trying for hours - PB blaster - waiting - tapping - etc.).

Does anyone here have an already ground-down 5/8 socket for this purpose that I can borrow. I'll gladly pay 2-way shipping....

I also welcome alternate ideas to getting it out....

From the Twin Motorcycles Maintenance articles I’ve seen they remove the belt from the front pulley for more room to work, maybe you can then get a regular socket or spanner onto it?

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artikelen.asp?cid=20

A "crows foot" might do it, or buying a cheap socket to modify yourself would be much faster/cheaper/easier.

Small needle nosed vise grip style pliers are not expensive either, but get a brand name.

I could try....

I really don't want to have to remove the pulley - all the writeups I'm finding seem horrible...

@Cooter - copy....wish I were handier at "modifying" a socket. I really don't know what to do there...

Have a look at the last picture in this old thread:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...neutral+switch
    That was ground down with a bench grinder & holding the socket with a piece of dowel (it gets hot fast) so nothing exotic.
    The socket was a grubby, rusty thing I picked up at a swap-meet for 50c.
    With the belt off the rear sprocket and moved out of the way the switch can definitely be removed by a trimmed down socket.

So finally got it off...

Took removing the belt and using my socket 'just so' with an extension to get a very small amount of torque on half the sensor. That got it started. Needle-nose pliers took care of the rest.

I'm still going to replace it once I get a new sensor, but for now I cleaned it really well (and the whole area) and re-installed. Hope it doesn't come loose now too easily.

I checked continuity by using the 'cap' and grounding it. Wiring seems okay - works as advertised (ground=light on panel).

Thanks all for the progress thus far.

Now I have to re-uninstall the entire front fairing and try to get at the cluster (i.e. inside the cluster) to sort the speedometer weirdness (see my other thread). Yay.

While the sensor is out, push on the silver ball bearing and shoot contact cleaner in there, lots of oil build up can get in behind it.

If my name was T-Bag I would tell you to grind the side of the pulley off and have full access to the switch without grinding and ruining a good socket.

If my name was Tbag I'd redesign the bike . And then still bitch about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast