Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12 whining noise

XB12 whining noise

Another thing I noticed before the 02 sensor problem started with my XB12R .
    When out for riding for say 20/30mins a whining noise would appear ( speed was around 35mph or 60kph ) .
    I am guessing its a bearing somewhere .
    When clutch lever is pulled it goes away so that kinda rules our rear wheel or final drive bearings I am guessing .
    When starting out on ride there was no noise .
    It was quite loud as I heard it while wearing helmet while riding .
    I realize it could be a multitude of things but any ideas would be a help .

Does it change with road speed or engine speed?
    Since it's that loud, get a recording of before and after so we can compare the sounds.

where does the noise originate? Side? Forward or rear? Have you adjusted the primary chain recently?

Tbag has a whining noise from his bike too..... oh yeah its himself whining about his Buell.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Tbag has a whining noise from his bike too..... oh yeah its himself whining about his Buell.
    LOL .

ocgreenmachine
    Seems to come from the side .
    Not long had the machine but will look at its adjustment .

Cooter
    Not that I have noticed .
    It happened last time I rode it and have not been out on it since .

Ya. could be the primary chain is adjusted to tight. They tighten as the bike gets warm and 98% of home mechanics go too tight (just like drain plugs haha).

A primary chain is better too be way too loose than even a little too tight. The service manual download is at Buellmods.com or buelltooth.com. It's easy to do.

Inactive
    a "whining" noise can only come from one of 4 places on an XB: motor assembly.....belt assembly.....tires....rotating assemblies.
    easy to determine what is causing it. you'll need a quiet, straight, reasonably smooth asphalt back road with minimal traffic. simply accelerate up to the speed and gear where the noise is most pronounced. now gently swerve from side to side within the lane. "whine" changes pitch and sound level? it's the tires. swerve test determines nothing? it's the drive-line. which part? again simple to determine. make it "whine"....and without changing gears quickly disengage the clutch. whine continues? belt/tensioner pulley/wheel bearings. whine goes away? primary chain/trans output shaft main bearing.

Lunaticfringe
    When the clutch was disengaged ( bike freewheeling ) the whine went away .
    Is that bearing easy to inspect ( am guessing there would be some sign of wear ) .
    I will also check the tension on the primary chain .

Primary chain, easy adjustment, trans main out put shaft bearing, big job.

If the whine went away when the clutch was engaged or disengaged, then you’ve found the culprit.
    I’d adjust the clutch, per service manual, and if that doesn’t fix it, I’d start disassembling the primary.
    Need to have a good look at the clutch basket and clutch plates to see what’s causing the odd noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast