Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine shake during RPM drop

Engine shake during RPM drop

Hey all! Started riding the Buell and have been enjoying it a lot! One thing I noticed was when I'm riding and I pull in the clutch to coast, the engine/bike sort of shakes as the engine drops in RPMs. Was wondering if this is normal Buell behavior or something I should investigate. Thanks!

Banned
    You have to investigate how to use clutch and throttle properly. During engaging the clutch you have to twist throttle a little to not let engine to drop RPM to smooth clutch engaging and to prevent jerking.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-08-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Play no attention to the above response that is, if you can even understand what he wrote !

Model, year, mods, type of tires, how old, how's the wear, balanced, in other words, give us as much info as possible ? This is what the guys will ask to help diagnose.

I think teabag is trying to discribe rev matching while ENGINE braking.
    That doesn’t apply when pulling in the clutch and coasting.

Does the engine behavior change when the shaking occurs? Or does the engine sound and act normal?

Could be your primary chain isn’t adjusted properly or your wheel bearings are shot.
    I’d start with inspecting those two items.

Good luck

2008 xb12s. The tires are good, it's not the actual ride quality that shakes. It's like I can feel the engine shaking a bit as the rpms fall after pulling in the clutch. It's not like a violent shake or anything just like a thumping shudder as it comes down to idle. And thanks for the heads up on that guy lol been riding for 16 years pretty sure it's not my technique
    Last edited by rtrofimovich; 07-08-2018 at 02:37 PM.

No the bike rev matches just fine on down shifts. This only occurs if I'm cruising then pull in the clutch to coast. As the engine speed drops, there is a bit of shudder but it doesn't behave weird or misfire or anything. No fault codes neither
    Last edited by rtrofimovich; 07-08-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo

It's normal. You will get a little shake from the v- twin on decel with clutch pulled in. It's because you have no load on motor. It will usually do it at a certain rpm as the rpm drops. When you feel it look at where your RPMS are at and take note each time and you will see.
    Last edited by rchuff; 07-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.

I understand you have been riding for a longtime, Great, But how long on a Buell ? if I may ask with all do respect.

Okay, thanks! I figured it was normal but thought I'd ask!

What have your other bikes been ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast