Thread: Oil Drain Plug Leak 09 XB12R

Oil Drain Plug Leak 09 XB12R

Like many others, I had been over tightening my oil drain plug per the service manual instructions and late last season the aluminum threads gave out. I've installed the Time Cert kit and my new stainless steel threads are seated perfectly, however the original o ring that was used on the plug no longer fits properly. I've tried a few different sizes, all with thread sealant, yet I still get a small leak around the plug (a few drops a week). I'm going to try using a crush washer instead of an o ring (or maybe both?) but I'm lost on what size washer I should get. Anyone have a recommendation?

Go to Harbor freight and buy a kit of vition O rings ,they are cheap and you will have all sizes.

The surface that the OEM o ring used to seal has changed due to Time Cert insert and o rings don't make a perfect seal anymore. I've tried all viable options for o ring sizes with no luck. Looking to try a crush washer that covers the entire opening instead but am unsure on what size washer to purchase, in terms of OD and ID.

If all fails use some RTV on the threads.

I did a timesert on my bike and it does not leak, even when the washer gets mangled. It might be the install work.

Are you sure it is the plug and not the time sert. In the kit they give you 5 tools, one is to make sure that your thread tap goes in straight. Did you use that? Some kits come without it. Just did mine Saturday and used same o-ring and no leaks.
    Last edited by rchuff; 07-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I'm fairly certain the install work is fine. My kit did come with the guide and I used all necessary tools. If I trace the leak up I can see it coming from between the bolt and the sleeve, not the sleeve and the oil tank. I've also noticed different leak speeds between different o ring sizes which also leads me to believe the issue is with the seal

Teflon tape is a easy fix!